ESV B-Ionic Seawater System

Frankie

RS STAFF
Hey everyone,
Getting ready to fire up a 60 gal. Shallow and hit a snag on my salt source. I could get it elsewhere but I use my supplier for other things also and prefer to stick with them.
They sell ESV B-Ionic Seawater System but I have no experience yet with it. I plan on doing more research on it but want to see how many users there are and their opinion.
Please include your water parameters and how often you do water changes (%) with your reply.
As many of these as you can. If you don't know then that's fine. Just tell me what you like about it.
Salinity
Temperature
Alkalinity
Ph
Calcium
Magnesium
Potassium
Potassium (k+) would help me a lot!

Thank everyone! Looking forward to reefing with you again!
Here's a sneek peek of the sump

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Forum Runner

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130610_183914.png
    ForumRunner_20130610_183914.png
    756 KB · Views: 128

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Sweet looking tank Frankie! I don't use esv but I know SteveD used it and liked it. Recommended a scale as well. Said it mixed fast and clear. I use "salinity" salt which I really like, tested params for each batch printed on the bucket!

Frankie

RS STAFF
Thanks Brian.
Hope Steve chimes in.
What I am looking for is test results from a freshly made batch.

Thanks Brian.
Hope Steve chimes in.
What I am looking for is test results from a freshly made batch.

I was a Steved13 convert.

I keep some mixed in a brute so not really fresh. But ESV doesn't precipitate like other salts. This batch of 25 gallons was made 4 days ago.

Sal - 35ppt - Refracto
PH - 8.2 - Pinpoint
CA - 450 - Salifert
MG - 1410 - Salifert
DKH - 10.2 - Salifert

The numbers are always the same. You can adjust them during mixing as well. For a few reasons I will never use another salt unless this is not available anymore or some unknown issue develops with it.

-JOHN

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Set up looks fantastic. Don't you wish it would still look that pristine in 6 months. :)

Frankie

RS STAFF
Sal - 35ppt - Refracto
PH - 8.2 - Pinpoint
CA - 450 - Salifert
MG - 1410 - Salifert
DKH - 10.2 - Salifert
-JOHN
The ca+ is bit to high John. Corals stop uptaking ca+ at 420 ppm.
Try tweeking it back a bit if your using supplements. If its the salt then add more corals.
Tell the wife I said it was ok ;)
Your magnesium is a tad high also along with dkh but those will drop to proper seawater levels if you are able to dial the ca+ back.
Your best results would be
Calcium 420 ppm
DKH 9/7
Magnesium 1250/1350
What temperature are you keeping the brutt can?
Thanks! Your post is helping. A lot!

The ca+ is bit to high John. Corals stop uptaking ca+ at 420 ppm.
Try tweeking it back a bit if your using supplements. If its the salt then add more corals.
Tell the wife I said it was ok ;)
Your magnesium is a tad high also along with dkh but those will drop to proper seawater levels if you are able to dial the ca+ back.
Your best results would be
Calcium 420 ppm
DKH 9/7
Magnesium 1250/1350
What temperature are you keeping the brutt can?
Thanks! Your post is helping. A lot!

Those numbers are ESV salt as mixed per instructions. They are a little high but at 10% WC weekly it has no real effect on the tank chemistry. With ESV the option to use less of the elements is possible if it was an issue.

The Brute garbage can is in the garage with a Koralia 3 keeping it aerated. I mix 25 gallons at a time so i always have some available for the DT,QT or making frags. It gets pretty warm in the summer. It was probably in the low 80's when i tested those numbers today.

Thanks! -JOHN

Frankie

RS STAFF
Awesome! All of this helps me a lot.
I guess I will buy some and check it out.
Thanks again John!