eshopps protein skimmer is LOUD!

miekp

I recently bought a PSK-100H protein skimmer. I was impressed with the reviews of it online in reference to its performance and quality. However, I am not at all impressed with the large amount of noise mine is making. The noise coming from the air intake hose is very loud! When the air intake hose is closed the noise level is very decent and on par with any average aquarium pump, but when the air intake hose is released and fully opened the amount of noise is very loud. Is there a silencer/muffler that is missing from my unit? Is there something wrong with my unit?

The micro bubbles in the tank (hoping they clear up) are a whole other disscussion, but the noise level is just nuts!

miekp

That helped out a bit. But now there are other noise "issues." Through the top of the water adjustment pipe you hear the constant suction sound. A cotton ball helped there. Now the top collection lid is vibrating. Two rolls of pennies helped with the vibration (but not eliminated it), but that tighten up the lid seal and reduced the skim height. I am really NOT impressed with this thing. It had such good reviews online, but to me, this thing is a huge POS! Anyone else have this skimmer? Have these issues? Should I have not bought this thing?