Eric's Coral ID Mini-Class has Fired-Up

Have to smile ... as lots of people sure seem like they think they can ID Acropora ... and lots expressed interest.

But yet ... where is everyone?

ScottT1980

I have skimmed through the thread, but haven't had a chance to actually READ it. I think that perhaps it might be a bit esoteric for some hobbiest. That and the fact that it involves some work from the hobbiest's side. Most people just want an ID, and if it requires any effort, they will just be satisfied with Acropora sp.

JMO, if I had some good SPS to add to this, I would do so...

Take er easy
Scott T.

Scott, you have a good point.

Previously I had started to giggle a bit when people throw out half [or all] their Acropora with species names ... now as my head spins in terminology and the actual process of `being sure'.
[you mean you believe the seller ... who got it from where? IMO, most likely their :eek:]

I'll just realize in the future that this attempt to define species is just part of the `competitive reefing circuit' that it's fun to observe but I never want to fully join. I'll just name all my Acros human names.

But the whole `what species' conceals an underlying point, I think. Origin, general info on where/what reef it's from, conditions .... this is huge information. For captive frags, source of import and the captive history IMO would be great to track. Knowing how long it's been aquacultured, the origin, and something about it would be wonderful to have. A database, heck I've been tempted to compile a little `info sheet' about all my frags I pass along. I tend to think that's what people are aiming at with species ID [or showing off]. And knowing source location info is great - it's a real shame the collector can't write 2 sentences on where it was previously thriving. Anyway ...

I'm just trying to figure WTF with the frag I have and digest capitose and a number of other new words. Sure, I looked at them before [Veron, etc] ... but it's definitely an eye-opener. The hand lens and bleached branch have definitely filled me with even more wonder at the beauty and complexity :D:

Last edited:

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
I agree 100 % and not just on SPS corals either, but often on other animals/corals and plants. As I said on RC, I send Daphne a perfect pic of an anemone and she wants the real thing for ID :LOL:

JB NY

Yeah, where is everyone? bleach those branches!!

I'm finding it a great little mini class. I've got some of the book, but trying to do an ID on your own with no help is a daunting task. So it's nice to have Eric telling you the things to look at, what's important, what's not etc.

FWIW I don't have a problem with people IDing acros. It helps when you are discussing them or trading. If you are familiar with the different species, you can, in your mind, picture what the acro looks like. I do have a problem, and have started a bunch of arguments with people/vendors who sell an acro for a huge price and tell me it a rare "whatever acro" that they have. Then you look at it and it looks nothing like what the real thing looks like. While they invariably fall back on, "all ID are just guesses anyway", I feel it is taking advantage of the less informed who don't know squat about coral identifications.

But anyway, as I said I find the whole process very interesting.

I ordered that Wallace book Eric is using too. Hopefully I'll have it in a week or so.