engineer goby mistake?

nightfire76

hey guys i just got me 2 engineer gobies recently and they are in my 55 now......when i bought them i confused their max size with other gobies in my head and only started seeing their max size and such only after i put them into my 55 and now am worried that not only with it get to a foot or even larger but i have 2 in there.....should i try to get atleast one of em out or what? by the way they are only like 3 3 1/2 inches big right now

engineer goby

Has been struck by the ban stick
They will be fine. How big are they now? Their very interesting fish as one tends to care for the other. Is your rock safely seated on your glass and what grain size is your sand they burrow nonstop and a fine grain will constantly get blown around the tank

nightfire76

i bought them as the last 2 in the LFS they were both together constantly so i thought id by them both and they are at most 3 1/2 inches long and yea already last night they were working together making a whole...its cool...just wish it was in the front of the tank and the rock as far as i can tell is safe....i know for sure one side is..and i believe the other is too.i have like 90 lbs or so of rock....gotta take newer pics oh and the sand isnt so fine either they are doing fine with it and its not all over the place..just nice piles lol

engineer goby

You will enjoy them and don't be surprised if one of them dies on you. You might find that one never leaves the burrow and rarely eats this is normal. I had mine for nearly 2 years now and as frustrating as he can be at times I would never get rid of him.

lbiminiblue

They will be fine. How big are they now? Their very interesting fish as one tends to care for the other. Is your rock safely seated on your glass and what grain size is your sand they burrow nonstop and a fine grain will constantly get blown around the tank

called it...

engineer goby

They will, then they will move it to the other side it never stops. I can hand feed mine pieces of silversides and cut up shrimp. He was shy for awhile but once he caught on he looks for my hand all the time

Willie McDaries

man,I read the title and though Rob screwed up again :lol: JK Rob

nightfire,I think you'll be fine with 'em,mattshack had 2 in his 75g and they did very well,the 55 isn't that much smaller,seems like his liked to move sand and rearrange rock,watch out for that

engineer goby

man,I read the title and though Rob screwed up again :lol: JK Rob

nightfire,I think you'll be fine with 'em,mattshack had 2 in his 75g and they did very well,the 55 isn't that much smaller,seems like his liked to move sand and rearrange rock,watch out for that

I thought the same thing :)

Yea their not much for swimming just enjoy digging

Ceece911

What grain size sand do you recommend for them? How deep? 2 of these are on my wishlist for the tank I'm setting up.

engineer goby

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+9805+7326&pcatid=7326

A substrate like this will work, while the fish are young they may have a bit of a problem with it but they don't burrow as much when there young and within 6 months they will be changing to adult. I like this grain size as its big enough to keep from being blown all over the place by powerheads but small enough form the Engineers to get in there and do their thing. Again they are very fun fish to watch and I would buy them all over again i just would set my rock up differantly and use a heavier sand.
Post pics, we could start an Engineer Goby club here.

engineer goby

Marine Aquarium Substrate: Seaflor Special Grade Reef Sand

A substrate like this will work, while the fish are young they may have a bit of a problem with it but they don't burrow as much when there young and within 6 months they will be changing to adult. I like this grain size as its big enough to keep from being blown all over the place by powerheads but small enough form the Engineers to get in there and do their thing. Again they are very fun fish to watch and I would buy them all over again i just would set my rock up differantly and use a heavier sand.
Post pics, we could start an Engineer Goby club here.