End of an era

nd200

Almost two years ago today I purchased my first salt water aquarium, a Red Sea Max C250. The tank definitely has had some hard times but has been doing exceptionally well over the last year. There has however been one problem that I have been putting off that needs to be resolved. The temperature. I live in a fairly warm climate and keep my house at about 74-76 degrees during the summer. This is far too hot for my aquarium as it never dips below 85 with the hood shut. I have been having to keep my hood open to the second stage to get it down to 79-80. i thought of getting a chiller but ultimately decided against it and went with the new Red Sea Reefer Deluxe 250. I think this tank I'll better suit my needs. It is open top too and has LEDs so that should fix my heat issue. It is going to be a big transition for me as I have lots of corals and fish. I'd like to bring you guys along for the ride and hopefully you can help with any problems I may run into.

Pat24601

Almost two years ago today I purchased my first salt water aquarium, a Red Sea Max C250. The tank definitely has had some hard times but has been doing exceptionally well over the last year. There has however been one problem that I have been putting off that needs to be resolved. The temperature. I live in a fairly warm climate and keep my house at about 74-76 degrees during the summer. This is far too hot for my aquarium as it never dips below 85 with the hood shut. I have been having to keep my hood open to the second stage to get it down to 79-80. i thought of getting a chiller but ultimately decided against it and went with the new Red Sea Reefer Deluxe 250. I think this tank I'll better suit my needs. It is open top too and has LEDs so that should fix my heat issue. It is going to be a big transition for me as I have lots of corals and fish. I'd like to bring you guys along for the ride and hopefully you can help with any problems I may run into.

Let me know how it goes!

I'm rather attached to the closed hood for a variety of reasons, but that is really the ONLY reason I haven't switched to the Reefer Deluxe (or some equivalent). Even so, it's been a borderline decision. I'll follow your progress closely.

nd200

Let me know how it goes!

I'm rather attached to the closed hood for a variety of reasons, but that is really the ONLY reason I haven't switched to the Reefer Deluxe (or some equivalent). Even so, it's been a borderline decision. I'll follow your progress closely.

Not quite sure how to upload pictures here. So I'll just explain how things are going. The tank is beautiful. Much more pleasing to look at in general. When people come over, the tank is always the first thing they look at and comment on. Water parameters have leveled off at near perfect. I usually keep a little bit of phosphate and nitrates due to the fact that it is an LPS dominate tank with only one or two SPS. I have been having algae issues recently so I started dosing no3-po4 x and it brought them both down to zero. Still having algae growth so am pretty puzzled about that. Other than that the water is crystal clear all the time and is running perfectly. All my corals and fish were transferred over pretty seamlessly. Not a single death. Even my blue starfish made it which has always been hard to keep happy. I have a pretty non agressive group of fish so jumping hasn't been an issue. I have ordered a screen top for my snowflake Eel who always scares me. He swims right up at the top if I forget to feed him. I feel like it's only a matter of time before I find him on the ground without that top. Overall I'd say the tank had been much easier to take care of then my old one. I like having al your equipment laid out right in front of you. I was a bit of a perfectionist when it came to cable management. So there isn't a single cord out of place. Everything is very easy to follow