En Memorandum

StirCrayzy

I've been missing my FW tank and it's been a couple years since it was setup. I've had many variations of livestock in this tank through the years, mostly cichlids.
I Started with a 10g tank 25ish years ago, and my house seems empty without one. I tore the 70g down to make time and space for a growing family, and to devote more time to the 65g reef setup. Wish digital cameras were around earlier, I don't have many pics from the early days.

Break out the Mylar balloons and Teddy Bears, and feel free to post your memories and pics of tanks from your past experiences.
Gone to Soon. :(

Last edited:

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
yeah know I've been thinking of getting a smaller FW tank set up because i miss my SW tank but i just don't have time to start up a new one because they way i wanna do it would take too much time and money now and with the baby and another on the way thats a tough sell to the wife. I think a FW tank would be much easier but i want to keep the fish small a community oriented, I don't like the bigger fish. I can see this turning into a planted tank experiment though and well, then i get out of control with it!

Pat24601

I miss my FW tank as well. I love my SW and it's a hard sell (even to myself) to have 2 tanks. :)

DaveK

I have a 125 gal reef and a 90 gal FW planted tank. I love them both. Side by side they actually complement each other nicely. Plus with the red coraline algae growing on the front glass on the reef and the green algae growing on the planted tank, I don't need to add any additional Christmas decorations.

Getting back to serious, it's really nice when I get home from work in the winter and it's all dark outside, and see the lush green jungle of the planted tank, and the tropical reef. It's really uplifting.

There really in no reason not to have multiple tanks, provided you have the space, and the time and money to take care of them. After all, you do see some FW people with a basement full of tanks, especially if they are into breeding fish. Granted though, a basement full of reef systems would likely bankrupt most of us, but it's fun to dream about.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
How successful are you with the plants? I assume they help with water quality and I'd like to get into that aspect of it

DaveK

I've usually had a planted FW tank along side my reef system almost since the day I started reef keeping. Many years ago, I would have a tank set up as a typical aquarium. Growlux lighting, and an outside power filter. I'd keep plants in it, but I got only fair results. This went on for many years.

The I read an article in TFH about full spectrum lighting in planted tanks. At the time the only real full spectrum bulb available was Vita Light, and they were difficult to find. Stitching to that made the plants grow and I got some good results with val, java moss, java fern, crypts and similar modest light plants. Stem plants and amazon swords didn't do well.

As a note, those Grolux bulbs touted for years as plant growing lights are almost worthless for growing plants, and they also look very artificial. These type of bulbs are still shipped with your standard aquarium hood or reflector.

The next improvement was using Laterite in the bottom layer of aquarium gravel. This provided some good trace elements and such for the plants. It's still useful today. I was getting better results with the same plants.

The next major leap was starting to use dry fertilizers. By adding a balanced amount of nitrogen, phosphate, and potassium, along with some other minor elements called CSMB in the planted tank world, the plants took off. I also started using good root tabs in the gravel. This what what solved the amazon sword plant problem. Most plants can absorb nutrients from the water, but the amazon swords, and related species absorb a lot from their roots.

As a note, most liquild ferts sold in your LFS are almost worthless. They just don't contain enough of what you want and/or the balance of the ferts in way off.

The final step was pressurized CO2 and a UV unit. The additional CO2 is a basic food source for the plants, and the UV helps keep algae down. At this point the tank is very high tech and plants really grow. Most plants can now be easily grown, and it can easily become a jungle in there.

If I were telling someone new to planted tanks how far to go, I'd say you'd want to start with good lighting and filtration, good substrata, and use dry ferts. The other items, pressurixed CO2 and UV are optional.

Like reef systems, your LFS tends to be clueless when it comes to serious planted tanks. Expect to have similar issues with your LFS. Don't trust them until they prove themselves.

Lastly, depending upon what your doing, a planted tank can be expensive to setup and run. Not as bad as a reef, but it's not like a traditional fish tank either.

PS - if there is a whole lot of interest in planted FW tanks here, I'll start a new threat with this post.

Last edited:

StirCrayzy

I'm hoping I have time/space again for FW after the next house move.
I know progressing to planted is the ultimate in the FW experience, and I've only added a few odd things here and there to see if anything would grow. Never had much luck, but I never really put much effort into plants since the cichlids and Plecos would pull everything right out.

Dave how much time should one expect to budget to maintain a 40b planted tank?
For discussion sake, figure 50% of the substrate is utilized with average beginner plants, and T5 lighting.
I tend to spend under 2 hrs per week maintaining my reef, and definitely could buy in to planted system if I don't need to constantly trim and prune.

Thanks for the replies , I'd love to see some pics. Dave you too ;) inspire us !