Emergency Water Question!!

ChitownRomeo

I have a 55 gallon Reef tank and my RODI unit got messed up (Long Story). I need to make a few gallons of water right now but the only water the store has is Crystal Geyser Alpine Spring Water. They have their water quality reports online so I kinda trust them. This is just a temporary thing. Is spring water safe?

Their Quality Report.----->http://cg.dev.nerdydragon.com/docs/D_15_V02_YEARLY_OLANCHA_SOURCES_FP_OFFICIAL_REPORT-2014.pdf

2vdl7xt.jpg

sirrealism

No its not good water. But if you can find that water there should be other water around. if you go to a store that sells that look for filtered water. Most of the filtered water is RODI water and will say it right on the label.

sirrealism

I did a TDS reading on zepherhills spring water and it was 149 TDS. I have not TDS this water but being that its "springwater" is where I have a problem with it. If you have a TDS meter do a test your self. If its over 10 I would not use it

StirCrayzy

No spring water !

Most large grocery stores sell RO water by machine now, around here, Kroger, Meijer, even some Wal-Mart's have a refill setup.

Worst case scenario, get some absopure or hit up a LFS.

wscttwolfe

Using distilled/RO bottled water should only be used in an emergency. For the most part it isn't chlorinated, which would be deadly to your corals.

However, it does have a lot of phosphate and nitrate usually. Pictures on my tank thread from 3-4 years ago, when I started with bottled water instead of RO/DI resulted in an insane hair algae farm that took close to a year to defeat.

ChitownRomeo

Using distilled/RO bottled water should only be used in an emergency. For the most part it isn't chlorinated, which would be deadly to your corals.

However, it does have a lot of phosphate and nitrate usually. Pictures on my tank thread from 3-4 years ago, when I started with bottled water instead of RO/DI resulted in an insane hair algae farm that took close to a year to defeat.

It was an emergency situation. I only needed 2 gallons of it. This will be the only time I ever use it.

Danreef

^^ +1 I used destilled water during 6 month with absolutely no problem. Do not use spring water at all.

Another option, would be to buy at Petco a 5G box of Natural Sea Water. Just heat it, measure the salinity (is always1025) and use it. I have been using it during the last year and is excelent. My tanks are 100% NSW. Expensive but for an emergency $11,99 do not affect anyone.

Cheers
Daniel

Ps: the shelf life is 1 year. So you can have a box .... just in case there is any emergency !!!