Emerald crab question ?

angela

image.jpeg Hi all ! New to the forum and have a question , I have two emerald crabs in my tank ones pretty big and active at night he's green lol ,
I got another around a Month later around Half the size and not as green , do I found what looked like a dead crab , turned out to be empty so I thought molt ?? That was about 10 days ago and he just appeared tonight very sluggish and white ? Any ideas if he's going to die poor wee dude ? Tia :)

Oxylebius

Similar to reptiles before they molt (shed their skin), they turn white-ish and opaque, some crabs do the same we just don't always notice it. But, it has just molted than this might not be the case for your crab.

+1 @angela
I've read that some crabs can gain their pigment by the algae they eat. If this is the case, I'd say your white crab isn't getting enough green algae in its diet and might be starving. I suggest trying to feed it some algae (pellet or dried seaweed).

If you have a long BBQ wooden skewers around the house, these work well to put some algae on the tip of and give to your white crab.

angela

I know I googled and couldn't
Find anything either so fingers crossed , I'm sure it not the tank as the other been there longer and he's ok ?
Similar to reptiles before they molt (shed their skin), they turn white-ish and opaque, some crabs do the same we just don't always notice it. But, it has just molted than this might not be the case for your crab.

+1 @angela
I've read that some crabs can gain their pigment by the algae they eat. If this is the case, I'd say your white crab isn't getting enough green algae in its diet and might be starving. I suggest trying to feed it some algae (pellet or dried seaweed).

If you have a long BBQ wooden skewers around the house, these work well to put some algae on the tip of and give to your white crab.
yes he seems to be whiter since molting so he's Obv not been out to
Eat yet , I have some nori In for the crabs already so I hope he eats .. Also
Anyone know what a baby crab would
Look like ? I've saw a little
Green thing hiding in a rock but
Hasn't come out I actually thought this WAs my crab before o saw the white one ????