Elegance coral

pghsteeler

I was wondering what the latest news has been with these guys. I have been thinking about purchasing one from a lfs and started to do some research on them but there seems to be no info over the past few years. I understand they were great hardy corals in the 80s and 90s before the mysterious elegance coral disease ran throughout the hobby killing every new elegance and old ones exposed to newly collected specimens. Then there were a bunch of projects which I read as much info as I could find postedm, mostly from bonermann and also the long thread started by elegance king on this forum. These seem to have taken place in the mid 2000s with the latest post being around 2007.

Well now here we are 5-6 years later and I can not seem to find any specific results or finding from these projects or theories, and it seems there is not much info posted on the internet about elegance corals over the past 5 years. Does anybody know if our success as improved where it is ok to buy them again? Does Elegance King still exist on these forums I see his last post was in 2009.

pghsteeler

Bump??
Does anybody have an new information or links to sites that would?
Does Elegance King still psot on other sites or have any email contact info?

Choff

I can only say from personal experience that I have bought close to 60 corals (lps & sps) to date and my only loss was an elegance and I have no idea why. Just started shrinking up and it was toast in a matter of a couple of weeks. I purchased from LA divers den too.

(ok I had a long tent plate die on me too, but I damaged it)

Edit.. Go pens!

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Spirofucci

I also could not find up to date info either. So I just went a head and got me one. That was over a year ago and my elegance is doing just fine. In fact its one of my favorites.

20121021_181525.jpg

pghsteeler

I can only say from personal experience that I have bought close to 60 corals (lps & sps) to date and my only loss was an elegance and I have no idea why. Just started shrinking up and it was toast in a matter of a couple of weeks. I purchased from LA divers den too.

(ok I had a long tent plate die on me too, but I damaged it)

When did you purchase your elegance?

Edit.. Go pens!

Sent using Tapatalk 2

How long ago did you purchase it?

GO PENS!!!

pghsteeler

I also could not find up to date info either. So I just went a head and got me one. That was over a year ago and my elegance is doing just fine. In fact its one of my favorites.

20121021_181525.jpg

Good to know, when you purchased it did it have nice long tentacle or were they kind of shrot and stubby and grew over time? Did you follow elegance kigns thread and use low light?

pghsteeler

20121021_181525.jpg

Good to know, when you purchased it what did it look like? Did it have a flat white bottom or the typical dark cone bottom? Did it have short stubby tentacle or were they nice and long and flowy?

Choff

purchased on 11/6/12, RIP on 11/20/12. For a frame of reference I bought my first coral on 7/29/12, so there are countless reasons why it might not have made it. In the same order I bought a hammer, a duncan and a brain that are all doing fantastic.

Spirofucci

Good to know, when you purchased it did it have nice long tentacle or were they kind of shrot and stubby and grew over time? Did you follow elegance kigns thread and use low light?

It looks pretty much like when I first got it a year ago but has almost doubled in size. It is in a Red Sea Max 130, 34 gal and under a Radion.

I have not seen elegance kings thread but I will look for it.

FishinBob

I purchased my elegance about 4+ months ago after a fresh cut with the bandsaw.... Since then it has healed and grown quite nicely placed in low light med/low flow in the Sand under LEDs And no problems here it did shrivel up when I added some phos gaurd but otherwise doing excellent!!

pghsteeler

Nice to see some people have them, maybe things have changed since all the info I could find is 2007 and earlier. The lfs has has 2 for the last 5 months one was the dirty cone style that they say are free living juvie colonies that do not adapt to our reefs and has parished, the other is a flat bottomed frag and looks very similiar to the ones above so maybe I will give it a shot. I could get it for $45

FishinBob

The ones where I work seem indestructible... Large 12"+ colony was cut in 1/4's and every piece lived under led, compacts, and t5's different tanks we have 3 different color variations and all survived quite well healed nicely and are growing for 5+ months!