Electrical Work Cost

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I'm looking to add 4 GFCI outlets to the wall that I am putting my tank on and I am wondering if anyone is able to "guess" with some accuracy how much it would cost me to have an electrician come in to do it. $300, $500??? Less?

The braker box is on the same wall (opposite side) so these 4 outlets will literally sit in the same stud section and be wired straight up to the box. This is simple to do and my father said he can do it but since i live in a condo i'm trying to gauge what it would cost to have it professionally installed versus me doing it and having the city inspector bless it.

Also, i'm a trustee on the board so lets just assume all is kosher there.

Thanks!!!

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
If you are planning on having the work inspected just fill out the permit as the home owner doing the work.

It's EXTREMELY simple and their is no code preventing you from DIY.
If it's not wired correctly the worst case he gives you a fail sticker and you correct and call him back. Still no money out of pocket except material. Just a thought my father is an inspector:)

Edit....You do not need 4 GFI's You only need the 1st one in line from the panel box to be a GFI each one after that that you will connect to that GFI is protected. So 1 GFI and 3 regular recepticals provided they are all being fed from the original GFI.

1 GFI @ $30
3 recepticals @ .89 = 2.67
Permit Maybe $50 to $75?

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Thanks Bear.....My dad would do the work but I see your point about the need for only one GFI outlet - makes sense.

Any idea of what an electrician would charge to come in and do this?

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
I mean I would figure on about $65 an hour. If you are set on getting an electician I would still fill out the permit as a home owner doing the work and have the electrician do the work on the side. But you would need to grab like an union electrician that is out of work or a guy that works for someone else that does side work on his own time to save you money.

The minute you bring in the guy with the license your cost just went up, and here is how his explination sounds to you..."Well it isn't a lot of time and labor but it's the license and insurance is why I have to charge you X". No offence to the any of the licensed electricians out their.... My whole family is licensed and union plumbers so I know the game.

Hope this helps