Ecotech Radion pro RSM 130d hood mod????

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Do you already have the Radion? If you do this make sure to do a detailed thread (with pics BEFORE and AFTER).

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
SenseiSays and I both have successfully modded our RSM250s with two Radions. Unlike some other mods I have seen, neither SenseiSays or I cut holes in the top of the hood to access the controls on the back of the Radions. I personally did not want to ruin the look of the hood. I left a short USB cable hooked up to one light and then hooked it into an extension cable to do the programming. When not in use, I took the cap from a thumb drive and put it on the end of the USB that hooks into the extension cord. I tucked the short cable up behind the light until I got ready to use it the next time. After I was done acclimating the tank, and was finished with the programming, I unplugged it and then put the rubber plug back into where the USB cable plugs into the light. I love mine and think it was much easier than some of the retrofits out there.

Chris Bennett

Yes ill be hooking it up to my macbook to programme are you saying if you hook it up the laptop i do not need to access the panel on the unit, thus getting rid of tge need to cut a hole in the hood to access it.

As was said above we did not put a hole in the hood. Kept one of the USB plugged into the radion which I made come out the back where the rear fans are at. I love the lights and I've already seen some growth from some of my chalices that weren't budging before.

Choff

How close to the water are they? I was worried about the bottom facing fans when I looked to mod my 650 with them. I would have been 5" from the surface. That made me nervous.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
They are at the most 6 inches. Maybe 4 to 5 inches. I raised mine as high inside the hood as I can to allow for air circulation. In the RSM130 and the RSM 250, there is an acrylic cover over the light compartment. This cover protects the fans and the fixture from the moisture below. I blow my fans out with canned air every one to two weeks.

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
As was said above we did not put a hole in the hood. Kept one of the USB plugged into the radion which I made come out the back where the rear fans are at. I love the lights and I've already seen some growth from some of my chalices that weren't budging before.

I opted not to leave the USB in permanently. I probably could have, but it is not hard to plug it back in as needed. I did think about leaving the short USB cable attached and just plugging in the exstention cord when needed. I chose not to do it. I think I read where someone did that on a unit and it caused issues with the USB port.

Choff

Ahh good. We have the same, but the depth of the hood wouldn't allow us to use it. Love those lights!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

The hood is completely cool to touch nothing hot coming from it whatsoever. The gap I just measured from the water is 6.73 inches. Great spread and love the lights.