Dying Torch Head?

RSMRyan

One crisis averted last night, now another one (less crisis though) has arisen.

This torch has been in my tank for about 1.5 weeks, but now it looks like one of the heads is dying. Looking for critique on tank levels or advice. I've been told torches are both good and bad beginner corals. Starting to think the later....

Phosphates - 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20-40ppm
PH 8.2
Alk 7.8-8.4
Magnesium - 1160-1200
Calcium - 430
Salinity 1.024
Temp 78

Thoughts?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 18

Antics

Very hard to say since it's only been in your aquarium for 10 days. Where did you buy it? Online? LFS? If locally, how long did they have it in their system? When a head dies like that I always first consider trauma from shipping, being placed in a bag, etc. I also wouldn't tell someone that a Torch is beginner friendly, but I guess LPS are kind of thrown into that category.

RSMRyan

LFS, it was withdrawn for the first 24 hours but then had full extension for the rest of the time. I went ahead an did a dip in case it was pest or bacteria related.

PCDS

Watch to see if any of your fish are pecking at the coral. In my tank my Lemon peel Angel is making it very hard to have nice corals!

Is that head being shaded from the light by the rest of the coral? The coral looks lovely I hope it improves.

Rini

Here we had the same thing +/- going with an frowspawn. The first several days good. And then disaster. After some talk and investigations.
* The LFS did raise the coral above the water to put it in a bag. Seems this is not the best way.
Now we ask to put the coral in the bag under water.

* Further I made the mistake to put it directly to high in the thank. Now new corals start at the bottom, and then slowly move upwards to the final place.

* And it started in to much flow most likely.
More reading needed before I buy an coral.

We saw the coral shrink each day. And after some time it was gone.
I thought first an disease, or perhaps something eating from it.
We suspect the above things has killed it.