dwarf lion

hi some advice needed!
i got a dwarf lion fish last week and i havent seen it eating yet!!
i have tried krill and wiggling a fresh shrimp tail but its not intrested! also tried dipping it in garlic too!
i read a garden worm works????

jonathan10

well I have a lion fish that took about a week and a half before he ate....try lance fish! that what i used to get him to eat. he may just be adapting to your tank.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Claire just be careful.... to some people it's got a NASTY sting....

Have you tried any LIVE fish? sometimes they have to be "weened" off of live animals and "Taught" to eat other foods.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Make sure you feed it marine foods as fresh water foods do not provide the proper nutrition needed. Variety is critical.
Also, avoid a diet of mainly krill; doing so may cause lockjaw.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
One thing to keep in mind is that right now you're wanting it to STAY ALIVE! But as it becomes "accustomed" to you feeding it regularly hopefully it will associate you with feeding and accept non-living items. One thing you need to know if that using ANY live food is taking a chance on introducing parasites and other nasties into your tank that a QT would normally take care of. The sooner you get it eating frozen foods the better.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
The guppies and ghost shrimp should only be used very, very sparingly as they are both fresh water adn do not provide the correct nutrition.

small cheap damselss

This is the best nutrition for the lionfish but remember that you could be introducing disease by adding live fish so you may want to think about QT'ing them first....or freezing them and then feeding. Of course, this will only work if the lionfish is eating non-live foods.

reefjitsu

you may also try online for live feeders, many online stores are offering various live marine feeders now (mostly shrimp of various kinds).

Also, if you live near the coast, you may also try catching your own minnows and shrimp. Though there is risk of introducing disease as others have suggested.

Just a note on ghost shrimp: though most that are commonly encountered by the hobbyist are FW being sold in shops. There are actually SW and brackish ghost shrimps too. Usually to get them you will have to collect them yourself though. I also collect Sargassum shrimp whenever I go to the coast and see Sargassum weed floating about. Even a small clump is usually loaded with small shrimp, crabs and pods which make excellent snacks for marine fish.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Claire they have a slower than normal metabolism that's for sure. I've not had the pleasure of owning one (yet) but I have a friend who just sold his Lion (Not dwarf) because he found out he is severely allergic to the venom. anyway... I am pretty sure he only fed his about 2-3x a week.