Durso drain pipe question

bkgabby

I'm in the process of putting a new tank together and I've built myself a durso drain pipe. My question is whether or not to glue it to my 1" slip bulkhead fitting? Any known catastrophes with the thing coming out? Just a little nervous of just pushing it in there, but I also see that by glueing it in would be a PITA if I ever needed to remove it. Sorry, I'm a newb.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
typically PVC slips together tight so there is no need to glue it, as long as your sump can handle the amount of water that is in the overflow box i wouldn't worry to much about it.

Jeremy0322

I only tend to glue the pieces that are outside the water, like the pieces that run behind the tanks stuff like that. If it isnt a "perfect" seal and drips a little but is in the water it wont matter at all, and that lets you take pieces out and switch stuff around if needed.

BigJay

if you ever get a fish caught in your overflow box you'll be kicking yourself for gluing it. I also like to be able to flush out my overflow which I do by shutting off the tank, moving the drain line into a bucket and pulling the standpipe.

Rhodes19

Good points above. I have one that is slip and it will slowly leak over time with the pump turned off so I made sure my sump could handle the extra water from the overflow box. The other one is threaded and it doesn't leak and if I need to remove it, I can simply unscrew it. Having had a fish get into the overflow box several times, being able to pull the stand pipe out and flushing the fish out is the easiest thing to do. Don't glue. HTH :)

OH, and welcome to RS!!!

bkgabby

Thanks for the replies... I won't be glueing it in. It sure is nice to have a place like this to ask questions.

Jeremy0322

Its a great tool indeed when setting up a new tank. And not gluing is the best move, you wont regret it haha