DunCan Woes...Possible Pest?

chytownprincess

Hey everyone. I have an issue with my little Duncan. It hadn't been open in a few weeks. I tested everything numerous times. The parameters are consistent. Calcium 440, kh 10, pH 8.3, magnesium 1460, nitrate 0.10, phosphate 0.01, ammonia/nitrite 0. I do 10-20% water changes every 7-10 days. It is a mixed reef 46g bf. It has about 58# of live rock, and about a 3 1/2 inch sand bed. Fish housed are ocellaris clown, Darwin clown, Bangii cardinal, shark nose goby, and a watchman goby. Dwarf hermit crabs: 3blue leg, 2mexican red leg, and 2 scarlet. I have snails unknown amount of cerith and up to 5 Tonga nassarius. The SPs (ponape, Monti cap, and pink birdsnest), euphyllia (branch and wall hammer ), plays, ZOA,favites, acans, capnella, candy canes, ricordea, GSP, actinodiscus shrooms, and a neon toadstool appear to be happy and are growing well. This morning I moved the rock the Duncan is sitting on slightly and saw a hole in its side (please see PIC). What the hell did this??

fc27badfd976ef61b57ecac98f8360e9.jpg

c0c3609a2581fdcfa5b6e8ac6b06a1e0.jpg

"Hmmmm, gas and car insurance, or a war paint Scoly? I am walking home with my coral! "~Tattooed Nurse

Gordon

Did you ever figure out what did this? I have the same issue. I'm thinking of splitting them. Can I just cut straight down between them or will that kill them both?

Uncle99

The only thing I have ever seen do this was a boring sea sponge. These little critters bore a hold through practically anything including corals and shells....then they will consume the polyp....rare to my knowledge....

Oxylebius

Was the duncan up against another rock? That hole sorta looks like one of two things, it was attaching to another structure or it is growing another head. If you look closely at the outer ridges, they are formed by the the coral's growth, they are bulbous. Feed it regularly and whatever it is it should resolve itself. Be careful not to put your duncan near any of those other aggressive corals that you have, the duncan won't have a chance to survive their attacks.