Duncan Rescue Tips.....

ChitownRomeo

Ok I have posted alot about my tank going down hill. First off I was using 15 gallons of distilled water a week. Finally thought to test the water and it was at 164 tds. DISTILLED WATER!! So bought a 5 stage Ro/Di from brs and been doing a 15% water change every 3 days. as many of you know my duncans were once HUGE and the pride of my tank. Now they have been closed for 2 months. Started with a yellow dust substance on it and now it peaks its polyps out for a few min a day and right back in. this is happening to 2 different Duncan colonies. Should I dip them in coral revive dip or give them a iodine bath and home for the best? they have been in the same spot for 5 years. NOTHING has changed in regards to lighting or water movement. Any advice?

Oxylebius

I don't know what the yellow dust would be. Sometimes dipping a coral can help and sometimes it makes it worse by adding additional stress to an already stressed and dying coral. I'd see if the water changes make a difference first. Then if they open a little feed them as soon as you can. If they have been closed for 2 months, as you say, then I would hazard a guess they haven't eaten anything and a little food might help.

reefin101

Did they come with this yellow dust or were they happy and healthy when you got them?
If they came looking funky, dip them.
If not just leave them and DO some WC's

reefin101

What are your tank params?
Probably more going on then the TDS of distilled water?
I used tap water for 5 yrs on a mixed reef with out any issues!