drooping Colt

Susanedw

I just got this coral on Sat. The smaller one came off the larger one during handling. It had a thin hard part, part of what the other also had on it--assuming it was part of the base of whatever held the two together. I glued to the rubble rock but I'm wondering if I did not glue the right spot as it's drooping. Should I try to upright it and add a small rubble rock to the set up and reglue it so it's more upright? It was my first time glueing. Any suggestions welcome

Also have 2 acros on the bottom of the sand bed. How long before a start moving them up. I have a duncan as well and I know whwere that one goes--about 5 inchs off the sandbed. The colt might stay on the sand in a corner.

20170327_101040_resized-jpg.501468

20170327_101101_resized-jpg.501469

Susan

StevesLEDs

RS Sponsor
If it is secure, no need to reglue it, that will just stress it out a bit more. I would wait a few more days for it to adjust/acclimate before trying anything drastic.

It's time to move them up when they open up really big and look like they are hungry for more light. Think of them as solar collectors, when they want more light, they expand, when they want less light, they shrink up.

-Jeff

mr_tap_water

The tree coral doesn't like to be forced in a position it don't like and is probably sulking and also they do deflate like that from time to time try not to touch it anymore and when it feels comfortable it should start to rise gradually day by day.

With your SPSs really depends on how strong your lighting is, if you have fairly strong light I would move up gradually week by week if your lights it's fairly average more unlikely that the shop lights were stronger than yours then I would just put it straight up to where you would like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Susanedw

@mr_tap_water I have t5's. 3 white, 2 blue, 1 pink. I was thinking in the lower 1/3? I have that shelf but that m ight be too high. I was going to leave it in the sand (in my large corner) but it doesn't seem happy. I have that pc of pukani to the far left. I was going to put the duncan but the duncan can go on rock abve where the colt is. the acros up high where the xenia is but I'll have to move the xenia (far right high rock).

So should I move it to see if it is happier?20170327_115551_resized.jpg

mr_tap_water

Looking at your rock display I would put the SPSs on the shelf or even at the highest point within the next week or two The rest of your corals go anywhere you like as it doesn't look like you've got any shadowing.

With your T5s have you ever thought of experimenting with different colours for an example replaced the pink with a purple this will help your corals more richer in colour and have two whites and two blues or go for
3 50/50 , 1 blue, 1 Actinic 1 purple.

And I wouldn't be surprised if you got rid of the pink and replaced with another blue or some of the suggestions i've just said you would get rid of that green on the rocks more and likely within a couple of weeks.

StevesLEDs

RS Sponsor
I agree with MrTapWater,
SPS go highest in the tank as possible, and rest can go wherever convenient. Just be aware that perfectly happy corals can take a week or so to settle in. That's just because your water chemistry will be different than the fish store's. And dumping the corals in even if you do acclimate over an hour or so is still relatively quick to an comparative natural ocean chemistry change.

I would definitely toss the pink bulb - those have quite a bit of red spectrum, and corals don't really photosynthesize red since it is the first color to be absorbed in oceanwater anyway. Algae LOVES it though.

-Jeff

Susanedw

I was planning in a few months when I have to replace all lights (at the 6 month mark, right?) with 2 white, 3 blue and one pink. could do purple instead of pink.

what are 3 50/50 Some sort of whites?

So I'll put the acros at the highest point and move the xenia, the colt on the shelf as it won't reach anything to sting to see if it is happier as that is the best water flow, and the duncan on the pukani.

Susanedw

@StevesLEDs Okay will look to replace the pink with purple and one white with another blue. If I do that in the next couple weeks, then I won't have to change all six at the same time at the six month mark

moved the acros to the tallest rock. Not expoxied yet but wedged pretty good. Moved xenia down. Put the colt on the shelf. It's pretty heavy so should be okay until i make final decisions.

Could the colt go the on the same rock as hte green star polyps to form a grass mat beneath? The green star is on the rock next to the shelf. The two colts are pretty high on the rubble rock

mr_tap_water

The 50-50 tubes are 50% whites 50% blue combo which helps blend the colours together when viewing,
With Duncan flow wise I will try to aim for a gentle to medium flow. But not so that they are being blasted.

StevesLEDs

RS Sponsor
Not my intent for a solicitation, but eventually adding in LEDs would certainly resolve all of your lighting issues, forever, (no bulb changes ever again and 100% perfect spectrum with color adjustability, silky smooth sunrises, no more algae issues, etc :)

-Jeff

Susanedw

lol's @StevesLEDs I may consider that in the future. That would mean getting a new hood and I'm not up to that or the expense quite yet <g> Don't even want to think about how to remove the hood as the tank was already put together when I bought it (prev. owner never put a drop of water into it)

@mr_tap_water here is where I put my new babies. The duncan is getting some good flow, enough to sway, from the wavemaker (the dirty netting is in case my gbta goes float about--I should post what it is and where I got it for others.). In fact, the duncan is looking very happy at the moment. The colt also has enough flow to sway, a tad bit more maybe than the duncan. I've shifted my 2 wavemakers to see how everything does.

Just went to look closer, and the green acros has opened up. So exciting! It's so small, you can barely see but the camera can. And the Duncan has expanded quite a bit so it must like that spot. Now to see if the colt gets happier.

btw, you guys are awesome

20170327_143640_resized.jpg 20170327_143650_resized.jpg 20170327_143656_resized.jpg 20170327_151553_resized.jpg

Attachments

• 20170327_151758_resized.jpg
    20170327_151758_resized.jpg
    884.7 KB · Views: 4

Susanedw

wow, the second acro is "sprouting" Can't see just looking but using the camera, I can see them swaying

Attachments

• 20170327_155825_001_resized.jpg
    20170327_155825_001_resized.jpg
    859.7 KB · Views: 5

Susanedw

can a duncan share a rock with gps? Moved the colt or kenya down to the pukani as it is recommended to be lower third of tank and put the duncan just below the shelf (no plug holes on shelf). Thinking it could to on rock with gps if I put it on a pc of rubble to get it a bit higher and epoxy it to the back of the rock the gps is on for some height as they like the mid third of tank.

mr_tap_water

They should be ok it's only when they get really close to each other and start touching One of them will start to close and more likely will be the gap.

Susanedw

Switching the two corals seems to be working. The colt or kenya, whichever, is extending, even the drooper has extended. Hope it decides to straighten...

And the Duncan is opening. My thought was to glue it to a rubble rock and afix it to the back of the rock where the gps is which allows the gps to have most of that rock, and the duncan to go above it. Right now the frag is in a niche between shelf and rock to hold it in place to see if it likes the flow and lighting. Appears so far to do so. Ran out of expoxy last night doing the 2 apos