Drilling bottom of rsm130, where to put bulkheads?

bolofd

I know the bottom of the rsm is supposed to be tempered glass but I have seen it done. I have a spare tank and want to try drilling the bottom glass. Now my question is where would it be best to place the bulkheads for the return and drain and why?

I will post pics of progress and outcome for others to learn.

Tia

bolofd

Ok after looking at other peoples overflow setup I'm thinking of putting a durso drain pipe, where skimmer use to be, as close to the grate as possible. What does everyone else think? Should I install two drains one as a backup? Now for the return, should I put it where the chiller return would be, in the left compartment or straight into the front dt?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
If you don't get any feedback here... might ask in the general reefing forum ... as this would be advise many RS members with tanks that are not AIO would know, in all the post in the RSM Club over the years... you will be the 1st I believe to have a drilled RSM.

General Reef Aquarium Discussion

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
No way u can drill tempered glass. Where did u see this mod?

..........reefing. not for the faint of heart.

ausreef

rsm 130/D isnt tempered and can be drilled,most of the RSM's ive seen drilled have been at the back directly in line with the overflow about half way down.its not that critical where its drilled as apart from the circulation pumps the whole back is emptied anyway

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Can you remember any pics of a drilled one in the club? If I can find one, I will add it to my if interested thread, where I can find it :)

bolofd

No way u can drill tempered glass. Where did u see this mod?

..........reefing. not for the faint of heart.

It was a member from a different forum. Can I post a link here? He's also got a video of his tank.

I don't think the glass is tempered because I have seen a few cracked tanks that didn't shatter like tempered glass would.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Google searching...

photo2kad.jpg

photohsd.jpg

photo1-1.jpg

bolofd

rsm 130/D isnt tempered and can be drilled,most of the RSM's ive seen drilled have been at the back directly in line with the overflow about half way down.its not that critical where its drilled as apart from the circulation pumps the whole back is emptied anyway
Thanks. So the drain is not really important where I put it but how about the return? Should I direct it straight into the dt and not use the stock return pumps? That way there's less things to break.

Mr.Reeefer

Hi All, and thanks for your input!

Good to see that someone has given it a go on the 130D with success, hopefully it will be the same with the 250, hopefully Red Sea get back to me with an answer so I can get it drilled without having a heart attack!

I'm not keen on the siphon either bolo but many have used it for a long time now, I'm just concerned about the siphon and DT overflowing issues....You wouldn't have issues with piping showing if you drilled the underneath glass on the sump and ran your piping straight down the sump

Once again thanks for everyone's input

Mr.Reeefer

Thanks. So the drain is not really important where I put it but how about the return? Should I direct it straight into the dt and not use the stock return pumps? That way there's less things to break.

If my mods go to plan I will be running the return straight into the DT