Drain pipe noise

saxman2008

Hi guys I've got an aqua one reef 90 but there is a splashing noise coming from inside the drain pipe I've extended the drain to under the water line but the noise is actually coming from inside the pipe, any suggestions to reduce noise??

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

cracker

hello saxman, You need to get some more,air into the drain. Or it may be too low in the water.There are a bunch of differing ways to do it.
Can You give us a pic?

saxman2008

It's sitting about an inch off the Base of sump but I can easily trim the extension I fitted down if required, there only seems to be one airhole at the top of the u bend in the overflow, will show pics as soon as I get home from work :)

saxman2008

297fe52cbbb5e1eb2d1f6aac7284753e.jpg
df8feaf232f101f19cbf28175c0f35d8.jpg
2aec626d52ce47c5117086dce3d20071.jpg
3e03d8608fc834299d0ce21f56086ca5.jpg

saxman2008

Tried reducing the extension and adding an extra air hole next to the one pictured, had no effect

Squatch XXL

any suggestions to reduce noise??
Noise in the pipe is created by air bubbles trying to float, while water is trying to "sink". Pvc Is incredibly noisy, but is the best choice for a reef tank.

It looks like you have 2 drain lines from your photo.

I keep 2 drain lines on all of my tanks. Both of my lines discharge under the water level in the sump. My goal is to regulate the "siphon" line with a valve, and in doing so causes it to remove almost all of the water volume the sump return pump delivers. The second line is only to catch the very least amount of "overflow". (Google "Herbie Overflow")

I have never had major issues. Restarting the pumps can cause the "siphon" line to have air in it for a bit, but it will work out in a short time.

If it is noise, listen to see which pipe is making the racket. If it is the secondary line, you may have luck changing the size of the hole in the air vent at the top of the tank. Smaller may be better. I often use automotive plastic vacuum barbed fittings to reduce the size of the hole. It may look silly, but I had to test a few sizes until I got it right.

Good luck, and I hope this helps.

I wanted to add this as an Edit, because it just crossed my brain....Is your drain pipes totally vertical without any bends or slope?

Last edited: