Doug's RSM 250

NJ Reefer

PREMIUM
So I guess it is time to start my 1st tank thread. First off, by way of background, I started this hobby about 5 years ago, the way many of us likely did, with a 3 gallon tank and a beta. The 3 gallon quickly became a 12 gallon. Soon the fresh water turned to salt, and a clown fish and damsel were introduced. The 12 gallon then became a 20 gallon so I could add more livestock. And then...I purchased reef capable LEDs and my first coral, and the rest was history.

I was lucky to find a used RSM 250 around March of this year. It came with all sorts of goodies, some of which I kept and some I sold. I spent several days cleaning the tank, stand, pumps, skimmer, etc. I did a fair amount of research on aquascaping (?) and decided to go with a combination of Marco dry rocks and some live rock from my 20 gallon. The Marco rocks looked fantastic and were easy to stack and shape. I added about 2 inches (60lbs) of a fine grain (non-live) sand, the name of which escapes me. If I could do it over, I would have added a larger grain sand so that it wouldn't blow around as easily.

Rather than using the water from my smaller tank, I decided to do the cycle from scratch. Adding a couple of raw shrimp (in a piece of panty hose so it was not as disgusting to remove) helped the cycle move along. Six weeks later, my fish and corals had a new, and much bigger home.

Still learning a lot and visiting the LFS nearly every weekend to check out their frags. I am lucky to have two amazing LFS nearby. Great product and even better people. What a crazy hobby - expensive and time consuming, but I am hooked.

I will post some pictures once I am permitted (what is the rule anyway, 10 posts minimum?)

NJ Reefer

PREMIUM
Thanks for info. I was attempting to use the "add attachment" function to add pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

NJ Reefer

PREMIUM
Sorry for the reflection...obviously still learning photography as well. This is my "final" rock work, after many changes. I tried to minimize the amount of rock actually touching the sand, while creating several arches in the process.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Really like your rock scape. :thumbup:
Ready to follow your build & see it come to life...tagging in w/Best Wishes :D

TrueBlue

Nice scape. Looks really good. Keep an eye on the back sand bed. I ended up with cyno and had to get another power head to increase flow.

NJ Reefer

PREMIUM
Thanks for the positive comments everyone.

TrueBlue, I appreciate the advice. I was actually thinking about adding a MP10, as I am only using the two built in pumps at this point. I am just concerned about the blowing sand.

TrueBlue

I leave moving sand to my watchman Gobi. I point the power head high enough to get the flow and not much sand movement. I'll take the sand blowing a little over the cyano. Good luck with the tank.

Sent from my iPhone

NJ Reefer

PREMIUM
I thought I would share my first mod. I am not lucky enough to have my RO/DI near my tank so I am transporting 5 gallon buckets to fill the ATO reservoir. With the reservoir stationary inside the stand, I was spilling water all over the place. So I picked up two ball-bearing drawer slides at HD and built a sliding shelf. I bought the better slides with the highest load ratings, since it will be holding a 12 gallon tank full of water in the extended position. (Note: I am still spilling water, but at least not inside the tank :lookaroun )

NJ Reefer

PREMIUM
Time to start posting some pictures. After cycling the tank for about six weeks, I relocated everything from my 20 Gallon into the RSM 250. To start, we have an orange and one black clown, a sand sifter (who makes a huge mess but keeps the sand clean) and a fridmani pseudo who is scared of his own shadow.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Great start ! The rock & scape is beautiful !

I had to look up Orchid Dottyback (fridmani pseudo) ;) pretty fish !

NJ Reefer

PREMIUM
Problems! Yesterday I came back from two days away to find my Orchid Dottyback dead. This morning I found my sleeper banded goby dead. My water parameters were just tested last week, and everything was fine, except the phosphates were a bit high. I just tested the phosphate level tonight and it is 0.04 ppm. I am beginning to have a cyano breakout, but I don't believe that would have killed the fish.

I added a coral banded shrimp two weeks ago, which I was told (and researched) are reef safe and fish friendly. I am very suspicious however, as the goby appeared to have some of its tail fin cut up.

Anyone have suggestions, or experience with CBS?

rufus2008

Oh ya, a cbs if given the opportunity will catch and eat fish. Mine is quite active and loves to torment my fish. I'm blaming him for eatting my tomini tangs tail and fins on its first night in the aquarium.

Sent from my GT-I9000M using Tapatalk 2