does your clown eat brine shrimp?

Nigma

so, i usually feed my clown mysis shrimp, and flake food. he likes to eat them both..
but then i tried to feed it brine shrimp... and he doesn't seem to like it... he keeps taking them in his mouth then spitting them out.... is that normal? do clowns not eat brine shrimp?

DaveK

Are you feeding live brine shrimp or frozen?

Some of the frozen brine shrimp is of low quality, so your clown may not be eating it because of that.

More to the point though. Brine shrimp while excellent to get a fish to start to eat is actually a poor food. I highly recommend that you switch to other frozen foods such as mysis shrimp.

MileHi

My Clarkii eats just about anything I put in the tank, provided he's hungry enough! I cut way back on feeding my fish (2x a week) due to nitrates and phosphates and he eats brine or mysis cause I starve him:fishy:

iano

Mine loves it.... he and my cleaner shrimp are in a constant battle for it when I put it in the tank.

Jeremy0322

Yea, Brine shrimp has very little nutritional value to it unless you use it as a vector for some of the common vitamin and fat supplements like selcon and zoe, you need to soak it in something to make it worth while.

With that being said mine used to eat anything that was put infront of it, so it should be eating it.

That's funny because my maroon clown loves brine shrimp but he won't even touch mysis shrimp... maybe he's just not used to mysis shrimp cause i don't feed them that often.... I usually do flakes every 2-3 days and brine shrimp one a week... treat time!

sneaks03

I mainly feed my tank a rotation of mysis, Spectrum pellets, and some sort of flake. Ocasionally i will throw the brine in there, I do soak them in kent Vita-c as well.

Nigma

the packet says its enriched with vitamins... not sure if that was false advertising... yeah i will just keep feeding him mysis and flake.... and maybe once in a while brine.

DaveK

the packet says its enriched with vitamins... not sure if that was false advertising... yeah i will just keep feeding him mysis and flake.... and maybe once in a while brine.

I would also recommend stocking up on other frozen foods and using them also. Frozen clams, squid, or blood worms all make good foods. Some of the "name brand" frozen foods are ok too.

Mine will only eat them when he's really hungry or else he won't touch them, just spit them out. Most of the time he rather have flake food. Now the cleaner shrimp is opposite, so I try to do a 3x a week feeding of them and the rest flake.