Do you use a UV Sterilizer on your reef tank?

Do you use a UV Sterilizer on your reef tank?

• YES

Votes: 29 26.4%
  • NO

Votes: 56 50.9%
  • SOMETIMES

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • WOULD IF I HAD ONE

Votes: 21 19.1%

• Total voters

billyr98

i use a 80w UV on my 210g tank after an ich break out on my angels and tangs.. now I continue to run it.. No problems and no ich..

oldsaint

blue_eyes53813 said:
Wow I definitely need a bigger UV sterilizer... How much did that cost and where did you get it?
Well, I kinda went overboard on the 260. Originally it was going to be a FO tank and then I changed my mind and did a reef. I got them from a LFS in Tampa. I think the price was around $150.00 each. Marine Depot sells them for around $160.00.

cracker

I have a 30watt Aquanetics sterilizer. I havn't installed it on the 200 yet. I have used it in the past and didn't have any Ich . Not sure how I want to plumb it. I learned that a dedicated pump from the sump to the tank is best. I think having it draw water from the skimmer box to feed the Refugium would work. This way it won't zap any bugs in the ref. My question is how will zaping any Phyto and such before entering the ref affect the bugs food sourcei See any probs runnin it this way?

SoliSteve

I only use it if my Tangs have an outbreak of Ich, since they lack the mucuos coating that most marine fish have for protection. The only down side is that you risk damaging the balance of good bacteria and certain planktonic life. If you have a FOWLR (Fish Only With Live Rock) or Fish Only tank, it makes a lot more sense than continuously running on a reef tank.

billyr98

I am thinking about adding mine to an x10 device.. (timer)
How long would you guys recommend kicking it down too.. I run it for 24/7 right now..

cioutlaw

"I only use it if my Tangs have an outbreak of Ich," doesent the UV only effect the ich in the water? I thought it was more for prevention. I havent ever ran one but plan to being im going to have tangs in the new tank. Any brand/size suggestions for a 120G w/40gal sump?

Snelly40

sorry to ask the newbie question, however what exactly does a uv sterilizer do, and would it be necessary/beneficial to have on my 24 gallon tank, perhaps a small 8 watt one. just curious, and thanks for the help
-jason

cioutlaw

Snelly40 said:
sorry to ask the newbie question, however what exactly does a uv sterilizer do, and would it be necessary/beneficial to have on my 24 gallon tank, perhaps a small 8 watt one. just curious, and thanks for the help
-jason

kills free floating microorganisms like algae, viruses, mold and bacteria. When water passes through the unit, radiation emitted from the light bulb destroys the organisms and breaks down their DNA. I think it depends on what you have in your tank weather it is good or bad. Ive been researching the topic myself but have never used 1.

dreams

i have 2 UVs......i bought one for an ich issue i had.....but that seems to have cleared up....so, i decided against using it because i was afraid of killing off good bacteria....that one is the turbo twist 12x 36 watt

the second one is coming w/ the tank i just purchased...i think it is a 10 watt

anyways, after reading this thread i have decided to use them both when everything is set-up going where it goes

http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/showthread.php?t=412

(hope it is okay to post that here)

Frankie

RS STAFF
Witfull said:
i would run it opposite your lighting. UVs can add heat to the water, so this will help cut down on some.
Thats some good advice witty. I personally never turned mine off and ran it 24/7. being i have a chiller im not to worried about the heat issue but some are and alternating pumps and lighting fixtures is a good idea.

cracker

At 6 months I'm seeing a little HA popping up here and there. I think this is just normal growing pains, and watching it close. My UV is plumbed and ready to plug in. I don't know if it's worth running the UV just to help with the HA, even if it will . I also don't want to Zap any critters in this young setup.