Do you turn your lights off at night?

droth

This may seem like a dumb question but I have a Bubble, Purple Mushroom and Frog Spawn coral, as well as a clown and wrasse fish. My tank is a 40 gallon with a Current USA Nova Pro Light with 4 white & 2 blue T5 bulbs. Is it OK for me to completely turn all my lights off when I go to bed at night?

David.
:smack:

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
When you say bubble, do you mean anemone? If so, I would get some night lighting. Don't want something to bump into the nem by mistake. They do eat fish after all

Also, if the room is very dark, and some light flashes, clowns can startle and go flying out of the tank. Their reaction to being jolted out of sleep is often to jump. If you have a fuge, the light on the fuge provides enough spillage for moonlight type levels

cbrownfish

God shuts of the sun at night on the reef, so it is ok for you to turn off the tank lights. :) Corals actually need some down time, otherwise they hit a photosaturation point and can become stressed.

droth

No it's not an Anemone it's actually called Bubble Coral or Plerogyra Sinuosa. I have been turning my lights completely out at bedtime and then start out with just the nightlights for the first 2 hours in the morning before the full lighting for about 10 hours.

David

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
David put your lights on a timer and yes you want them to have darkness at night. think of the ocean.. it gets dark at night.

r2d2

Many corals extend their polips during night to feed by filtration. If you want to see all that wonders at night you may want to install a pair of moonlights.

Greetings