do I have a $400 timer? Apex help

nunlef

Hi, my husband got me an Apex Aquacontroller for Christmas. I'm really trying to appreciate it, but it's not doing anything that my $5 manual timers from walmart weren't doing.

My understanding of the controller is that it automates things. Is there anything else it can do? So far I just have the temp probe that came with it, I have no interest in an ORP probe (not sure of the benefits), and the Ph probe could be a near future purchase, but really just so it looks like I really like the gift.

Anyway, I would appreciate any advice/help that you guys can give. I appreciate that my husband encourages my interest in aquaria, I just want to be able to appreciate his "help", too. ;)

Orcrone

I love my Apex lite. I use the temperature probe to control my heaters & chiller & hold the temp to a much greater tolerance than without it. I purchased the I/O unit and some float valves & use it to control an ATO. If I need to turn off the main pump I have it programmed to automatically turn off the heater, chiller & UV. I use the Feed cycle to kill the powerheads while feeding & then automatically turn back on.

TylerHaworth

It sounds like to me that you aren't fully utilizing what you have... It's kinda like buying a Lamborghini, but only using it to get groceries from the corner store... If you are only using it for timers then yes it was an extravagant waste of money but in an advanced reef system these controllers are invaluable...

These things have wave devices, Lunar sims, pH monitoring, ORP monitoring, internet accessibility, top-off controls, dosing pump control, calc reactor monitoring, and much more...

Uslanja

Hi nunlef! Nice gift! We're sure that as your system grows you will utilize more of the controllers features. We have been running without a controller but after reading a few horror stories about overheated tanks, we ordered two for our tanks and are now looking forward to all the expansion potential that they offer, particularly the wave action.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
If nothing else use the Apex to shut off the heater at a certain temperature - it'll help prevent a stuck on heater from cooking your tank and killing your fsh and corals. That situation happens too frequently.

saltysupply

RS Sponsor
I use mine to control Lights, Moonlights, temperature probe monitors the chiller, heaters...Powerheads, skimmer etc all programmed to shut off during certain events such as feeding, I can also access my controller from my laptop to change and program certian settings....I suggest taking a look at this guide, it is SO much more detailed than what neptune provides

http://reeftech.webs.com/Apex New User Guide.pdf

nunlef

thanks so much for all the replies.
I scaled back my system in september because the maintenance was out of control. On THAT system this controller would have been a great relief. I do have it controlling all timed devices and heater. I guess my issue is that I now have a 55g reef with no sump, no ato, no anything, really. I don't fool with my tank, so I don't test for anything. If something doesn't look right, I do a water change (because that's pretty much all you can do anyway). I think I will call it a 400 timer until we go back to a big tank with multiple peripherals.

thanks again

Orcrone

Sorry you're not able to get the most out of it. Using it as a temp controller will at least keep the temperature within a much tighter tolerance than any heater or chiller thermostat