dMiles 130 Start-up

dMiles

Thank you. I was debating about changing it cause I didn't think it was enough cave and clear floor bed but I think I like it as is.

dMiles

002-1.jpg

Went to my LFS today to get 2 peppermint shrimp and got this juvenile black-n-white clown mis-bar for $9.99. It was the last one from the last shipment and the new shipment is coming tomorrow. I know I wasn't suppose to buy a fish for another week but some deals you just can't pass up. Forgive me please.:thumbup:

dMiles

I'm about to start buying coral frags and my calcium is at 380. I know I need to get it up to about 420/440. I've been looking at ESV B-Ionic or C-Balance. Am I on the right path for good coral growth?

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
U have the one coral? I wouldn't look to dose til needed. At this point water husbandry is ur job. With 0 demands on ur water u can accomplish raising ur calc n mag by weekly water changes.

Don't mean to sound harsh but I see so many new folks to the hobby want to provide a fix that creates another problem. Weekly water changes r the number one thing in this hobby.

..........I live my life as a warning to others.

dMiles

You don't sound harsh ,You know more about this than I do. My Calcium is at 380 now and I do a 15% water change every Monday since my tank cycled. just trying to get good info. Thanks. Simplicity is it for me. I won't dose if I don't have too.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
What kind of salt are u using? Have u checked ur magnesium? Ph? Alk? All these play together. A change in one forces a change in another. I see nothing in ur tank that's demanding on your water. If it were me id 30% wc n check parameters in the morning.

Kinda like if u have a 6 pack in the fridge. If there's no beer drinkers in the house u should come home with 6 beers left which leads me to think u have a one time anomaly fixed by a wc or ur test is inaccurate. Calcium is a tuffy to test.

..........I live my life as a warning to others.

dMiles

LFS uses Salinity by Seachem.Cal-380,Alk-7,PH-8.3, don't test for Mag yet. Using API test kits. Should I do 30% wc every week?

Last edited:

dMiles

I decided last night that I hate my rock work. I need to re -aquascape . How should I go about doing this with fish and inverts in the tank without causing them undue stress?

reeferman

hey Darren,it was great meeting you at the Columbia swap.Ryan told me you stopped at the shop,sorry i missed you,i must have been in the woodshop.