DJ's 54 Corner Tank Build and Progress

djpensive

Got my clean up crew in there now, and they've all survived the first night in their new home, and have already started to go to work! One more week and I'll have a more living things in there. And so the journey begins :thumber2:

IMG_1106.JPG IMG_1104.JPG IMG_1108.JPG IMG_1107.JPG

djpensive

Added my first friends that swim over the weekend, went to the LFS and picked out a Black Ice Clown, and a Phantom Clown. They didn't come as a pair, but they've already become one thanks to my skills as a fish whisperer! I've named them Nemo and Omen, well the fiance actually named them but if she wants to name them I'll let her, because I haven't fully been able to sell her on the tank yet.

The LFS didn't have any bubbletips in stock so I wasn't able to get an anemone yet, but it's just as well to let the fish acclimate first, and then coax the anemone into hosting them when I do add one.fish.JPG

djpensive

Added my first Nem yesterday, and also picked up a diamond goby who doesn't know how to pose for pictures as of yet. The Nem hasn't found the spot he likes yet, I placed him in one spot, and he's moved 3 times since. This morning he was up high on a rock and by the time I left my house he was back down low. I'm very surprised how quickly they can move!

I know everyone love pictures!!!IMG_1277.JPG IMG_1274.JPG IMG_1282.JPG IMG_1267.JPG

djpensive

Well my nem ate a shrimp and spit out half, and is currently pooping. I hope this is relatively normal behavior he's found his spot and earlier was behaving great...came home from work to a murder scene thoIMG_1343.JPG

Last edited:

djpensive

IMG_1386.JPG All is well again, and the nem seems completely comfortable now. Settled into a spot and fully extending, guess he just likes the shrimp a little to much

Last edited:

djpensive

I added my first corals yesterday, got a hammer torch and a superman mushroom! And also for no good reason I'm adding a pic of my last African tank in here!
Hammer Torch
IMG_1400.JPG Superman Mushroom
IMG_1403.JPG IMG_1408.PNG

yungreefer2410

He would mean the shrimp, fish indeed do not molt. I don't believe bubble tips killing gobies is common or likely, so perhaps something else resulted in its demise and then the anemone got hold of it.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
shrimp often molt, then go into hiding until their new shell hardens, the molt often looks "exactly" like a dead shrimp and often in a few days he will re-appear - here hoping that the case - seen so many post where this was the case...

djpensive

shrimp often molt, then go into hiding until their new shell hardens, the molt often looks "exactly" like a dead shrimp and often in a few days he will re-appear - here hoping that the case - seen so many post where this was the case...
well I haven't seen em since that day...so I'm assuming it's not the case. I've haven't been on in a few weeks but have been adding to the tank. I'll update with pictures soon, but I've added a coral beauty angel, some acan frags, a monti, and a porcelin crab since I've last been on, things are progressing well with everything in there. My hammer is showing strong signs of growth with 3 or 4 new heads emerging and my mushroom's are growing strong and have produced a 3rd.

djpensive

I've been battling this Algae for weeks now, I've added scrubber pads because my phosphates and nitragtes were a bit high, and added some chaeto to the fuge section with a lamp running oposite the day light...I've slowed feeding to once a day, and even tried two seperate times to black out the tank for 3-4 days to try and help get it under control. This algae keeps coming back...I first thought it was green hair algae, but the lack of response to the black outs has me skeptical...can anyone help me identify this type of algae so that I can go about a corrective course of action? The algae in the substrate almost seems like it's got roots into the sand bed because it clumps up when I'm doing my vacuuming/water changes...i'm wondering if it might be a brown algae of sorts in which case more light would be better...any advise is apreciated.

ThanksIMG_1763.JPG IMG_1761.JPG IMG_1759.JPG IMG_1760.JPG

mr_tap_water

It's quite possible it may be Dinoflagellates if this is the case you need to get your water quality back up by doing some good water changes siphoning off as much as possible as this type is toxic in nature and can be harmful in the long run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djpensive

It's quite possible it may be Dinoflagellates if this is the case you need to get your water quality back up by doing some good water changes siphoning off as much as possible as this type is toxic in nature and can be harmful in the long run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I brought a sample to my LFS and they have confirmed that it is in fact GHA. I can't understand what the issue with the growth coming back is though. I'm religiously doing water changes, typically 10 gallons a week, pre-mixed from the LFS and I'm using RO/DI water for top offs. I'm going to continue to keep up the battle, I'm hoping I can win it in due-time.