DIY water changing/mixing station

saintsreturn

Hello all,
I am building a portable water station due to my apartment living and the desire to never carry another bucket up stairs again. I will post everything as I build it, but have a quick question for the experts before I begin.

Is there a benefit (besides having water on hand) to keeping the RO water separate from the mixing tub? I am trying to avoid two tubs and want to know your thoughts.

Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saintsreturn

First off, I bought the following:
BRS RODI system with faucet connect.
19g container
4 HD casters
2x4s
Flat top for the base.

Going to build a cart with a handle to roll everything around on. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456177679.679536.jpg

The casters are temporarily being used under my tank while I build it up. Once I move it and break it down, the casters will come off for the mixing station.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456177710.422493.jpg

jpsika08

With my former system I had a dual container station, the RODI container was used only for top-off reasons. As I'm in an apartment building now, space is an issue, so the only container I have is for salt-mixing purposes only, the RODI water used for top off is coming directly from the RODI filter which is stored in a smaller container underneath the tank.

You can handle it with one container if space is an issue IMHO.

saintsreturn

Awesome. That's what I wanted to hear!!! I have read a lot of post where people want the two to always be. Separate but I don't see why when I am pulling water on demand instead of pre filling

StirCrayzy

Redundancy. It helps if you have two containers because brewing RODI takes time, and depending on the size of a given WC, I could see the value in not needing to wait for a fill to perform a double, or setup an emergency QT. Maybe it's just the boy scout in me that wants to be prepared if I had the space . That said, I use a single container for RODI and just add salt and circulate, when I'm ready for WC. Then I just start filling the container again, My ATO is independent.

saintsreturn

Ok so last night I assembled my cart and placed the RODI system on it. The weight was to much so I threw on some supports.

I then added the fold out section for my second container and a caster to keep it all level and rolling.

Then it was all sprayed with plastidip to help protect it some from the elements.
Tonight I hope to set it up and start making water.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456934875.836151.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456934905.358624.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1456934933.814639.jpg

saintsreturn

I am almost out of water for my 29 so this should be getting turned on in the next couple of days. Just have a lot going on so we will see if I get the touches done :)

saintsreturn

Well huge set back tonight. The fittings that came with the unit do not work with any of the three sinks I have. So I will be making a trip to Home Depot at some point, but the whole project is on hold until I figure out how to make water.

saintsreturn

The trip to Home Depot was a fail. So I started to improvise while I figure out what to do ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457376652.877623.jpg

StirCrayzy

No way!?! All the big stores and most little hardware stores should have aerator to 3/4" hose , faucet adaptors. Most faucets use common threaded aerators.
I'm assuming you got a hose end connection for your RODI inlet?

saintsreturn

The two bathroom sinks have a glued on screen so I can't pop it (haven't decided if I am going to or not)
The kitchen sink has a hose style and it leaks when I plug it in. PITA

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cracker

saint in post 11 that's the water hose right? Where is your clothes washing machine? is that in a place You can use?

saintsreturn

What do you mean by the hose being right? I actually thought about using the washer hookup but it's a PITA to access in the apartment. But I found another solution for the sink so I am going to try again. If not, I will be tapping that washer water! No more stairs lol

cracker

I understood on the "No more stairs" !! Instead of the actual faucet look into a tee under the vanity.You might could put a tee fitting there.

saintsreturn

Ok I re read your post. Yes that's a water hose. I will do that too, I am leaving for a couple days so I am on hold till the weekend

saintsreturn

That is perfect! That's what I need to do. How do you turn off your RO system if you don't have a valve there to stop the water?

Diemaker

get a 1/4" inline plastic 1/4 turn shut off valve from home depot and never leave your laundry taps on when you don't need them. I've see lots let go and cause a flood