DIY Live Rock

Discussion in 'DIY' started by Kendalls_reef, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Kendalls_reef

Kendalls_reef New Member

hello fellow reefers!

i have recently discovered the art of making your own live rock and was wondering if anybody has done it before? i’ve seen various youtube videos, and have done research on the making of the “rock” but i wanted some personal opinions from you all.

i’m looking to make my own live rock structure for my tank, and i know it will take months before i can actually put it in the tank.

i’ve seen people use concrete, pond foam, and even clay! but i’m not sure what i should personally use? i really don’t want to use concrete as i know it tends to be really heavy and my tank may not be able to support a ton of concrete along the glass bottom. i already have four pieces of live rock in there, along with my fish, and inverts.

i have a station set up where i will be making the live rock, i just need opinions on what i should make it out of? i’m leaving more toward the clay, because i can form it into the shapes i want more. i believe that i would need some live sand to make the clay look more realistic and even “alive”. any tips or photos would be appreciated. thank you!

2. saintsreturn

saintsreturn Well-Known Member

Reef Chronicle:
    Yup
    This is a cool topic to watch. Sorry I am no help, but I am following

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

nanoreefing4fun likes this.
  3. nanoreefing4fun

nanoreefing4fun Well-Known Member
    RS STAFF

Reef Chronicle:
    Yup
  4. DaveK

DaveK Well-Known Member

You can make your own rock. However concrete is a major component of almost all the recipies. This means that it's going to weigh about twice as much as regular live rock. This is ok since the tank will easily support the additional weight.

You may find this a lot more trouble than it's worth. Consider using dry base rock.

5. Kendalls_reef

Kendalls_reef New Member

some people have told me that waterfall pond foam is great when it comes to constructing DIY “rock” backgrounds...

now i must decide. should i use Great Stuff black foam, or another brand? all say safe for fish and plants, and i have read tips on how to properly cure and introduce organisms to the foam. i think this is what i will use, as its supposed to be quicker, cheaper, and lightweight when it comes to building and constructing. it’s 100% reef safe, supposedly.

i will be creating cave structures and small pores in the rocks using a straw. the caves will be formed using an inflated balloon, which i will pop once the foam has completely dried. i will also use sand paper, or something else that’s rough to make the foam look more natural and ragged. since i already have fish in my tank, it will being cured in a different bucket, but the process is supposed to be much quicker when using foam.

i will post photos throughout the whole process.

DaveK likes this.
  6. Paul B

Paul B Well-Known Member

Reef Chronicle:
    Yup
    I collected all of the rock for my tank in the sea, then I gradually started making it because the rock I make, looks nicer than real rock and I can customize it. My rock is cement but it is hollow so it is also light. I don't wait months to add it, only a week or two. I wrote an article about it here.
    http://www.saltwatersmarts.com/diy-rock-marine-aquarium-3019/

DaveK likes this.