Diving Bucket List

Diverjohn

So what would be some places that are on people's diving bucket list? Personally I think my biggest ones would be Wakatobi and Truk Lagoon. There are numerous others on my list but those are the biggest.

Wakatobi.com

John

Oxylebius

Dives that are still on my bucket list include locations in the Red Sea, Palau, Fiji, Tahiti, Papua New Guinea, Galapagos and New Zealand.

Locations I will probably make it to over the next couple of years are Little Cayman and somewhere in the Turks and Caicos islands.

Fabulous Dive Locations that were on my bucket list and now checked off include:
* Bonaire - dove there this year!
* Belize - Lighthouse Reef Atoll, which includes dives at the Blue Hole, Half Moon Caye, and Long Caye
* USA, California - Carmel Bay & Pt. Lobos Reserve, Channel Islands, & Big Sur Coast

Other locations I've dove and had fine dives include:
* USA, Florida Keys
* USA, Oregon Coast
* USA, California - San Diego and Orange Counties, & Monterey Bay
* USA, Hawaiian Islands: Oahu, Big Island, Maui, & Kauai
* St. Thomas, USVI
* Puerto Rico

Last edited:

Diverjohn

Oxy, my wife and I were looking at Belize for this fall, but went with Roatan as a group of our friends are going. I have heard mixed reviews on Belize diving. We have access to a condo on Ambergris Caye, so the reefs you mentioned are a slight boat ride away, I believe.

Oxylebius

I stayed on Caye Caulker and yes Lighthouse Reef Atoll is a boat ride away, several hours on a super fast boat.

To get to Lighthouse Reef Atoll we boarded the boat early in the morning, the vessel had already picked up some divers from Ambergris and we joined them then sped out to the Atoll. The first dive was the Blue Hole (deep dive ~120 feet), then motored over to Half Moon Caye, stopped on the island for lunch and had some time to off-gas while walking around the island which had a red-footed bobbies and frigate bird colonies. They had platforms to climb up to allow you to be birds eye view of them in the canopy of the trees. Both birds species had nests w/chicks. After lunch we dove Half Moon Caye Wall and then motored over to Long Caye for the third dive of the day before heading back to Caye Caulker.

All of my diving in Belize was from boats away from Caye Caulker. A second boat trip took me out to "shark Ray Alley", which was located somewhere between Ambergris Caye and Caye Caulker, did two dives in that same location. I also took a third boat trip out to the Turneffe Atoll Islands, one dive was on the outskirts of a mangrove forest which I found interesting b/c I appreciate mangrove ecosystems for what they are and the life they hold, most people would probably find that dive horrible. The other two Turneffe Atoll Island dives were also fine, but never found out the dive site names or what islands they were off of.

Lighthouse Reef Atoll was worth every penny for this trip. It was a farther distance to travel and a longer day on the boat, but this Atoll was worth it.

I believe most of Belize has barrier reefs, so plan on boat trips to reach the reef. I'd take advantage of that condo on Ambergris Caye at some point in the future if I was you....

Diverjohn

I most def will. Last year when I was there i found some ricordias and zoas at about 20'. I will have to get some posted from previous trips to Curaçao and Cozumel.

Akshay

For now these would be my top 5...
1. Raja Ampat
2. Maldives - Southern Atols
3. Layang Layang
4. Palau
5. Philippines - Apo Island, Cebu, Palawan

Hopefully I get to do one of these in Sept this year.

Diverjohn

For now these would be my top 5...
1. Raja Ampat
2. Maldives - Southern Atols
3. Layang Layang
4. Palau
5. Philippines - Apo Island, Cebu, Palawan

Hopefully I get to do one of these in Sept this year.

I do business with a company in Cebu, but my company won't let me go there. I think it's cause they know I will spend a few days diving!

Akshay

Hahaha, that's sad...
I have a few diving buddies going there this August aswell & am gonna miss it coz have to tour some LatAm countries.
Hopefully get to go in Sept. when and if they plan a return trip!

Any idea of what the dive scene is like in El Salvador and Gautemala?