Display Refugium

mr_tap_water

@mr_tap_water I have a protein skimmer--tank is an all in one so I can open up the air valve all the way and just empty as need be.

Yes that's what you need to do, I empty mine roughly every 12 hours but can vary system to system.

Make sure you keep an eye on your Sg as your be needing to top up with freshwater more often.

Susanedw

Think I need to add a canister filter as I'm not getting good filteration with just the hob that came with the tank. Lots of debris and it's going to be a few more weeks before I get the two tanks plumbed. I figure I can always use it after and just take media out and put in rubble rock. Wouldn't it make a place for pods that would also not harm them going in and back out? .

Or I could see if the second one I have that clogged with sand is fixable and have 2 on the tank.

mr_tap_water

@mr_tap_water I have an auto top off all set up. Ugh, looks like cyano starting in refugium.
Your top up system it's for you evaporation, but if you're emptying your Collection cup on your skimmer a lot more you're taking salt water out of the system and that's only being replaced with your top up system it will bring down your SG if you see what I mean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Susanedw

@mr_tap_water I see what you're saying. So far, not over skimming too badly. Just an inch or so from today so far. Thanks. What do you think about the canister filter? Can it be utilized and added to the system after I plumb together. That hob is not moving a lot of gph I'm sure. I can turkey baste a lot of debris off the rockwork and I have a feeling it just resettles. it was the hob that came with a 29 gal tank and I have a 37 (the 37 got plugged already from the finer sand than gravel which most freshwater users use.

mr_tap_water

@mr_tap_water I see what you're saying. So far, not over skimming too badly. Just an inch or so from today so far. Thanks. What do you think about the canister filter? Can it be utilized and added to the system after I plumb together. That hob is not moving a lot of gph I'm sure. I can turkey baste a lot of debris off the rockwork and I have a feeling it just resettles. it was the hob that came with a 29 gal tank and I have a 37 (the 37 got plugged already from the finer sand than gravel which most freshwater users use.
If you're getting a lot of debris on the rocks it's usually to do with not having A good enough circulation to keep the debris in the water column allowing your filter Time to filter it out,

it won't hurt to add another filter just keep it basic make sure you clean it regular basis and you should see a difference.

Susanedw

@mr_tap_water thanks for the response. I plan to use carbon and rubble rock and maybe bio balls or ceramic to begin with and ordered a purigen. When I add pods, I'll take out what might harm them. Will order from amazon tonight. I have one powerhead/wavemaker inside but can't blow on the rocks as it's too much for the macro algae, esp. as the rubble they are glued to are just sitting on the rockwork until I figure out where they need to all go.

mr_tap_water

IMO if you're going to use Purigen then you don't need to use active carbon,
and if you're using Nopox and you have already live rock in your system you won't need bio balls but if you really do want a bio media as well go for the ring type same with the live rock rubble personally I think you're wasting your time with it traps a lot of debris making it inefficient.

mr_tap_water

IMO if you're going to use Purigen then you don't need to use active carbon,
and if you're using Nopox and you have already live rock in your system you won't need bio balls but if you really do want a bio media as well go for the ring type same with the live rock rubble personally I think you're wasting your time with it traps a lot of debris making it inefficient.

If I was to use and external filter for your system I would use some filter floss it will help trap the debris along with some active carbon or Purigen and some bio rings and clean on a regular basis.

Sorry quoted myself by mistake LOL

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
fyi - most of the RSM skimmers... wet skim, hard to get them to dry skim :rolleyes2: most tend to heavily wet skim and you have to empty a pint or more a couple times a week

Susanedw

@mr_tap_water I'm not using nopox in the refugium, just the main display. the refugium is still finishing its cycle. I'm using stability. Once I add pods, I wouldn't want the filter floss as it would trap the pods. Of course, once the two tanks are plumbed, I'm not sure if htet canister is needed or if it will just add another layer of filtration to help both systems.

@nanoreefing4fun So far I've had luck with the skimmer doing dry skim and only wet skims when I do things like chemi clean or epoxy. . I have to keep the air valve on and do a lot of fine tuning. right now it may not be skimming effectively--have to ck. Might be time to pull it out and clean it. Was wet skimming yesterday but not excessively.

Susanedw

Update (post also in my build thread)

Ordered a canister filter for the refugium as the hob that came with the tank is not very effective (being polite here) and I'm weeks away still from getting tanks plumbed together.

Hooked it up and already my tank is clear and has really nice water flow and ariation on the surface which it didn't have before. We'll see if it helps with the cyano as the refugium is going thru that stage.

Came with a spray bar which spreads the flow. when I get my tanks connected, may keep the canister and just take out anything that can trap pods like the filter floss and sponge. Am also wondering if I couldn't hook the chiller, when I get one, to it. Out flow of filter to inlet of chilller. Would make that so much easier if feasible.

I put rubble in the bottom basket, bio balls/ceramic ring mix next, carbon and purigen in the next up, the carbon and floss it came iwth next, and the sponge and floss on top.