Discontinue the Fluval 205?

tyleratl

Hey.. I was wondering what you guys think about keeping vs. removing the Fluval 205. I know some of you removed them from service due to the nitrate content.

I have removed the majority of the mechanical filtration from the Fluval 205 and now have just a couple of pads, some Chemi-Pure Elite, and some carbon. Which brings me to wonder if I am just waisting electricity running it.

Maybe I should place the black foam back on top of the skimmer pump and then place the Chemi-Pure on top of it. I could do without the extra carbon. I just have it in the Fluval because there is so much room for media. But, it's probably overkill.

So, question one. Remove the Fluval or keep the Fluval? Question two. Where and what to use in it's place. I just saw a post where Reefmack I think said he would place the Chemi-Pure below the return pumps where I currently have nothing. I could do this, and it wouldn't be that much of a PITA to change every three months. But, could it get clogged up if I don't have easy access and can rinse it in saltwater from time to time?

I am now running the same Fluval 205 with only half a bag of Phosban at the bottom a small bag of granulated carbon in the middle and another half bag of Phosban at the top. I removed the Live Rock. I did so to improve the flow inside the canister.

Nitrates and phosphates levels are at zero since a few weeks and pest algae is finally receding. I am still doing more than normal water changes though.

Q1 : I would keep the Fluval. Removing the hood and the pumps to access filtration media is too much of a PITA...

Q2 : N/A.