Disaster (Kind Of)

Paul B

For a couple of months my Reverse Under Gravel Filter has been backing up and I wasn't sure why.
I found out. I took a mirror and looked into the manifold that has three acrylic tubes coming out the bottom that feed the Reverse UG filter. That is fed by the algae scrubber screen on the right.
Water was filling the manifold which isn't good.
The reverse UG filter has been running for about 38 years and I don't remember ever cleaning the tubes but I could have in the 90s.

I saw that the tubes were completely filled with hard tubes and other growth preventing water flow.
I removed the clear manifold and noticed that one of the 1" tubes was loose.
I saw that it came apart right in the middle of the tank behind most of the rock structure with all the largest, oldest montipora and other corals.

I didn't really want to break them so while my fireclown was trying to sever off my hand I removed some large rocks in the back as well as a big bottle and other things I didn't know was in there.
(I can't see the back of my tank because it is built into a wall in a closet under stairs.)I managed to remove that part of the tube that went to the manifold so I could chop out the growth.

It seems when I built this I didn't install that tube in one piece, but instead I "spliced" it together with a piece of flexible hose which turned into glass in 38 years so it is brittle and came apart.

I managed to stick it back together and I made a "Rotor Router" snake to clean out the hard growth in the other two tubes and I pumped down water to push the rubble under the gravel.

I put everything back and all seems well. I would like it to run at least another 4 years. At that time the tank will be fifty years old and I may take it down. I am not exactly 20 years old any more and I travel more now and I know some day (hopefully not soon) I will croak and I don't want to leave this to anyone. I would like to donate it to someone who will know how to run it the way it is running which is different than most tanks.

yungreefer2410

I don't know if you will find someone to take it and run it the exact same. But you can rest easy knowing you have influenced the way I think about reef tanks. Being 23 I can prob convince some others and spread the Paul B way of having happy healthy fish n corals.

cracker

Well Paul I hope You don't decide to break the tank down yet. If You do, I for one have used a few of your methods & they all worked to my benefit .Thanks for sharing !

Paul B

Yungreffer, thank you. I think I have hermit crabs older than you. :D

Cracker, I hope to keep it going a few more years. But if I croak, my wife will probably give it to some Liberal who will quarantine my fish for 72 days while dosing Prizapro, stump remover, Alka Seltzer, hydrogen Peroxide, Clorox and those silly bio pellets with Roawaphos.
Maybe I should just throw my fish on the floor now to save time. :eek:

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
HaHa, don't forget the garlic soak on the Alka seltzer. Your tank is a living testament that nature will work everything out.

Looks beautiful Paul

DaveK

I put everything back and all seems well. I would like it to run at least another 4 years. At that time the tank will be fifty years old and I may take it down. I am not exactly 20 years old any more and I travel more now and I know some day (hopefully not soon) I will croak and I don't want to leave this to anyone. I would like to donate it to someone who will know how to run it the way it is running which is different than most tanks. ...

I know the feeling. I'm not exactly young myself, and each year it gets a bit harder to keep it all going. At some point I think I'll just give everything away to other reek keepers that know what they are doing.

However, your system is unique, as is the way you run it. I doubt you'll ever be able to find anyone that could take over your system and maintain it the way you do. The best you might be able to do is find others that will be able to keep the livestock you have in their tanks. Even this is no small task, since you have a lot of difficult to keep species.

No matter what it's going to be a tough day when we need to give up something we have enjoyed for many years.

Blue Space

This is very sad news indeed for such a long-lived tank. Perhaps we need a tank memorial forum? And perhaps, during the next 4 years, start a go fund me initiative to provide the funds necessary to move the tank to a local university for the staff/students? I'm just trying to think of anything that could keep this tank going.

Paul B

Thanks Blue Space but it has had a good run and I may keep it longer. My wife has MS and needs more of my help. We also have a house that used to also house our Daughter and my wife's Mom so it is bigger than we need and may downsize. I couldn't bring this tank with me if I wanted to because I built it into the wall as I was building the place and I don't think it even comes out.
It wouldn't take any money to move the creatures, just time and muscles. :cool:
This tank requires very little maintenance and few water changes. It is simple to maintain and very cheap.
I have never sold anything so I will probably just give everything away when the time comes. I started this tank when I was 21 so it is a part of me, not just a hobby as I never had a time in my life when I didn't have a tank of some kind. It will be difficult to live without it but hopefully at that time I will be senile and won't remember I ever had it. :eek:

Pat24601

Thanks Blue Space but it has had a good run and I may keep it longer. My wife has MS and needs more of my help. We also have a house that used to also house our Daughter and my wife's Mom so it is bigger than we need and may downsize. I couldn't bring this tank with me if I wanted to because I built it into the wall as I was building the place and I don't think it even comes out.
It wouldn't take any money to move the creatures, just time and muscles. :cool:
This tank requires very little maintenance and few water changes. It is simple to maintain and very cheap.
I have never sold anything so I will probably just give everything away when the time comes. I started this tank when I was 21 so it is a part of me, not just a hobby as I never had a time in my life when I didn't have a tank of some kind. It will be difficult to live without it but hopefully at that time I will be senile and won't remember I ever had it. :eek:

This life stuff is not easy.

Squatch XXL

It will be difficult to live without it
You should start the "Paul B Memorial Aquariums" now while you can still enjoy it. I never understood why people had memorials put up after they died. You can get some staff that understand your tank, and a few supermodel "tour guides".

I really think you need to monetize and franchise this idea. You could be the Alex Jones of the aquatic hobby. Transdimensional space eunice worms are drinking your fish's lifeblood". Buy more of the "Uncle Paul's Garlic Extract".

Have your agent contact mine. We can do lunch.