Did I make a mistake

Dane1

This weekend I got talked into one of these new maxi mini anemones (I can't resist anything blue/green) and now I'm a little worried. My tank is about 3 months old (its an RSM 250). When I put the anemone in the tank on Saturday, I put it in a little divet in the rock and it seemed to settle in very nice. Sunday and yesterday it was much larger. Last night I feed it a little of my regular frozen food. Then today, it is about 1/2 size and hasn't opened much more all day. I can also see a part of the foot. The color is still very strong! Any thoughts? Might it just be trying to move. What type of water flow do these guys like? The little divet is right under the pump return and it has very strong flow (I have tried to direct it away). Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Attachments

• anemone.jpg
    anemone.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 131

Dane1

Well, hopefully all is going to be ok. Today the anemone is back to its original size (about silver dollar size) and fills its little space. I will try to get a better picture and posted. Thanks. Lene

DanSReef

I have looked at those maxi mini nems before...and really like them...but do not have experience with them....YET... I hope to buy some in the coming weeks.

Two thoughts: 1) your tank is still pretty green for nems. It is not to say you cant have them in your tank. But....rather... it might be better to age your tank more than you have for nems... the maxi minis I would guess are similar to large traditional nems. 2) Nems will go through stages of inflating and deflating.... to expell waste and the like. Your maxi mini may have done this....here. Kind of a natural thing for nems in my experience.

I will look forward to learn more about these through your experiences. I am sure others on the board will also chime in...as well.

Good Luck!

Dane1

Thanks for the feedback! It looks a lot better today and is almost the same size as day before. Here is a better pic. I love this thing and I could see this being like a Lay's potato chip :) although I'm not sure if that is good or bad!!

Attachments

• anemone1.jpg
    anemone1.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 85
Thanks for the feedback! It looks a lot better today and is almost the same size as day before. Here is a better pic. I love this thing and I could see this being like a Lay's potato chip :) although I'm not sure if that is good or bad!!

Personally, I think your tank is not mature enough for an anemone, at 3 months old.