Devons Manly Aggressive Mantis tank build

bmplank86

Has been struck by the ban stick
Do I need to baffle it? I won't really need a refug and I have a really good hob Eheim skimmer

"No rain, no rainbow"

Built347

If i were doing a stand alone mantis system heres what id aim for... lots of lr in the tank the sustain the system. A 20g sump with a open 1st chamber, a sock chamber, and and pump chamber... (yes needs baffles)... i would stack the 1st chamber with rock and go wayy overboard with hermits and snails... let them clean up after the mantis for u without being wiped out.... + this can be holding area for your mantis' live food..

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Built347

Then center sock chamber to catch any rogue hermits or debris... then return pump...

bmplank86

aee7848d-8701-14db.jpg

Looks like im picking up this bad boy for my mantis tank! Good size footprint for
A big cave?

"No rain, no rainbow"

bmplank86

To what i understand it's more about turn around space and cave size not really length, and it has enough water volume

"No rain, no rainbow"

bmplank86

aee7848d-8ce3-29be.jpg

I forgot...my roommate has a 60 gallon hex he said I could have. Ahhhhh too many decisions

"No rain, no rainbow"

Built347

Hex and octo tanks worry me... more seams to split open.. dont know if that is a legit hazard but it makes sense in my head..

Doogle

I think the hex looks kinda cool the way it is. 36g corner bow would be a great mantis tank, lots of room for it to do somersaults!

bmplank86

Yeah looks like I'm gonna be using the corner tank for the mantis

"No rain, no rainbow"

Built347

Good choice imo.. i like corner tanks... they look bigger than they really are

Built347

Just got home from work to find that my mantis shed her wackers.. pretty neat.. only a few more years and ill have a badass necklace..

20120915_195052.jpg

dmatt88

So how often do they lose these so called whackers

..........rarely am I speechless

Built347

I really dont know.. I feed her live alot n I read thats supposed to promote healthy molting of there whackers.. its only happened once in the last 8 months.. I cant wait for a full molt.. that will be neat to have sitting in the fishroom