Devons Manly Aggressive Mantis tank build

Built347

Has been struck by the ban stick
First i want to thank this forum and some of its very knowledgeable members for all of the help and advise ive gotten and will get..

This all started with a youtube video of a mantis that i thought was absolutely awesome.. After that it was obvious that i could not go on without one. After reading a few threads and some advise from Jason on top of some Sh!# talking from Candace about my "could be feminine name" i had all the motivation i needed for a manly aggressive mantis tank :)

Heres where the Bargain bin mantis tank starts......

the lights and some other random things i need came in a package deal on craigslist..
IMG_20120103_141706.jpg

I got this 40B from the 1$ gallon sale.. thanks jason!
IMG_20120103_192629-1.jpg

the way my setup is with all of my tanks on one central sump an over the top overflow was out of the question..
If i lost power and then lost my siphon on the o-flow it wouldnt take long when the power came back on to empty the main sump and cause a ruckus throughout the whole house..
Diamond bits aren't carried anywhere in stock locally so used a $10 carbide saw for tile.. ((this works but you must go VERY slow or it will crack your tank))..
IMG_20120104_114622.jpg

I used plumbers putty to surround the area to be drilled to hold the lubricant in place.. i used air tool oil..(what i had laying around)
IMG_20120104_114719.jpg

you must first go in at about a 20% angle to grind out a starting point.. once it starts to dig you gradually lower the bit into 0% or flat on the glass then just let the weight of the drill do the rest.. on 1/4 glass with a carbide bit it should take 8-10 minutes to get through.. i would guess 60 to 100 rpm's.
IMG_20120104_115109.jpg

IMG_20120104_115948.jpg

I cant be bothered with 15$ bulkheads so i just siliconed in a pvc fitting with threads on the back for plumbing. then i glued in the o_flow box that came in my craigslist bundle..
IMG_20120104_121546.jpg

IMG_20120104_121603.jpg

More to come as it gets done.... thanks :)

Built347

Lol.. I thought I was hustlin on this project..... I guess I'm gonna have to step it up a notch..

( note to self: call off work next 2 days). Lol

Sent from my BatPhone using Tapatalk

Built347

QUESTION: Do Mantis's need or prefer anything in the tank other than a cave?
I can do without a whole gang of rocks in there for biofilter.. but do they prefer the rockscape or plantlife or anything... can it just be an empty sand bottom with a cave on one side and a little sign that reads "Danger Sharks" (Classy)

I guess to sum up my question what is the ideal environment for a mantis?.. (as ideal as a 40 gallon tank can be of course)

phantom2991

First i want to thank this forum and some of its very knowledgeable members for all of the help and advise ive gotten and will get..

This all started with a youtube video of a mantis that i thought was absolutely awesome.. After that it was obvious that i could not go on without one. After reading a few threads and some advise from Jason on top of some Sh!# talking from Candace about my "could be feminine name" i had all the motivation i needed for a manly aggressive mantis tank :)

Heres where the Bargain bin mantis tank starts......

the lights and some other random things i need came in a package deal on craigslist..
IMG_20120103_141706.jpg

I got this 40B from the 1$ gallon sale.. thanks jason!
IMG_20120103_192629-1.jpg

the way my setup is with all of my tanks on one central sump an over the top overflow was out of the question..
If i lost power and then lost my siphon on the o-flow it wouldnt take long when the power came back on to empty the main sump and cause a ruckus throughout the whole house..
Diamond bits aren't carried anywhere in stock locally so used a $10 carbide saw for tile.. ((this works but you must go VERY slow or it will crack your tank))..
IMG_20120104_114622.jpg

I used plumbers putty to surround the area to be drilled to hold the lubricant in place.. i used air tool oil..(what i had laying around)
IMG_20120104_114719.jpg

you must first go in at about a 20% angle to grind out a starting point.. once it starts to dig you gradually lower the bit into 0% or flat on the glass then just let the weight of the drill do the rest.. on 1/4 glass with a carbide bit it should take 8-10 minutes to get through.. i would guess 60 to 100 rpm's.
IMG_20120104_115109.jpg

IMG_20120104_115948.jpg

I cant be bothered with 15$ bulkheads so i just siliconed in a pvc fitting with threads on the back for plumbing. then i glued in the o_flow box that came in my craigslist bundle..
IMG_20120104_121546.jpg

IMG_20120104_121603.jpg

More to come as it gets done.... thanks :)
bwahh hahahaha!! its only S*** talking if i cant back it up!!

Built347

Lol.. don't be such a beach!.. how do you have friends?.....hahaha

C'mon baby I brought you some toast. Haha

PIMPALA

Ha!! Coming along nice man! Can't wait to see how this goes. :)

Anyone else with experience, feel free to chime in, but as far as mine has gone... A cave, and lots and lots of rubble, snails, hermits, and the occasional shrimp. ;)

Just make sure there is plenty of rubble, and once the mantis builds his entrance and exit the way he wants, (they usually use all of the rubble) then every so often, add some more to keep things fresh. I think an active mantis, is a happy mantis!

Built347

So Your saying add rubble so it can physically criticize my cave building skills?.
I don't know if I can handle that from a shrimp....lol

So fill it with hermits too.. wont it eat all if them?..

Do I feed the mantis its food on a schedule? Or do I fill the tank up with snails and such so it can eat whenever?

PIMPALA

I was kind of kidding about the snails and hermits. Yes, he will eat them all. But only
As he gets hungry. They don't over eat like fish do. I've had some inverts last in the tank for months (urchins included). I don't have a mantis feeding schedule, other than every other week he gets several snails and shrimps to snack on, along with catching frozen shrimp and scallops I feed the other fish on a every few days schedule.

Built347

Ya fill up the tank with your favorite hermits!! Lol.

Are the Smasher mantis's fairly safe with fish?

PIMPALA

Yep. Mostly. Unless they get really hungry, and/or a smaller fish swims into their den. lol

Built347

ITS UP AND RUNNING! gotta love days off..
built the stand today and went a little overboard with it but it turned out cool.

tomorrow i will finish the permanent plumbing and then im good to go... im so excited..
IMG_20120109_205554.jpg

there is water running through it now but i guess i didnt take any pics before rapped up for the night... ill put some more up tomorrow morning..