determining direction of floor joists

Charlie97L

hey, i'm helping a local guy set up a 90 on the second floor of his house tomorrow, and we're trying to figure out which way the joists run for proper placement. i know you want to do perpindicular to the joists/parallel to the load bearing wall.

anyone know how to figure out which way the floor joists go?

is a 90 going to be ok on an upper level?

he's in a middle unit in a townhouse 4 home unit.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
really dont see any problem as the joists are sheathed with plywood, this will spread the load anyway, and your probably up against a wall so even better

Scouter Steve

Which direction do they run in the basement, they generally run the same for the second floor. Running perpindicular to the joist would be important as you will spread weight on at least three joists. Running with the joist it would be possible to be directly over only one joist if you were totally unlucky!

Charlie97L

well i looked in the laundry room, teh only unfinished part of teh basement, and it looks like the joists were running front to back on the house, which won't work for the placement we wanted.

i don't know if that's how the upper floor is though, because the middle floor is a split level. gaaaah.

guess i need to find a deep scan studfinder.

Charlie97L

haha well, a) he's renting, and b) i wouldn't tear the ceiling up in the kitchen to do that anyway!

just an idle wondering.

cioutlaw

Oh..sorry I was thinking there was a basement or crawlspace below. Is it possible to build a base for the stand to sit on that will span the joist? 48x24 should do it.