Determining Clown Mate

wasupdavey

I had a pair of clownfish not sure if its False Perculas or Ocellaris. The male clown hopped out of the tank and died. I'm thinking about getting another clown to couple up with the lonely female. Anyone know if I can get another mate for her. And how do you determine if its a male or a female.

michael_cb_125

You wont be able to sex one. Get another clown that is a little larger than the one you have now. The dominant clown will morph into the female, In a clownfish pair the larger of the two is the female. There is no way to gaurantee that you will even be able to pair your clown back up. Luckily you have one of the least aggresive clowns.
It looks like you have a An ocellaris, which is a false perc.

lcstorc

If this one was already paired with another is it the male or the female? Regardless I would get a young clown much smaller than the existing one in case it is a female. They all start as juvinile and then the most agressive gets a lot larger and becomes female while the smaller will become male. As far as I know a female cannot change back to a male so if yours is already female you want a small male to add. Two females are not at all likely to get along. In fact they are much more likely to fight than anything.

wasupdavey

I don't know if this has anthing to do with my current clown. But I recently tried for a Maroon Clown in the tank with the False Percula I have right now. It was smaller than the False Percula. My False Percula in my tank was beating up the Maroon Clown badly. Its fins all ripped up so I had to put it in my quarentine tank. Does this give a clue about my False Percula being a female already if thats the case what do I do again.

The topic with the Male and Female kind of confuses me. So the small Percula can turn into a male or is it already a male. And the Female always stays female :drool: ?

lcstorc

Wow now that is unusual. You had a perc beat up a maroon? My maroon will beat up anything in the tank including the tangs. She is major mean.

Anyway, they all start out as juviniles which are neither male nor female. When they are put together in a group (or even a pair) the more dominant fish will become female and get much larger. The next one will become male and usually her mate. If there are any more they stay juviniles neither male nor female.
From what you have said it sounds like you have a female. So if you want a pair I would get the smallest one perc I could find. They should pair up but it can take some time.
I have a female clarkii with the same issue. The male died and I am trying to pair her up again. After 2 months she is finally learning to tolerate him a little. No real fighting. Just a lot of chasing and not letting him in her anemone. This week I finally saw him in the anemone while she wasn't watching. I was thrilled. Seems like she is finally accepting him.
Hope yours goes more quickly.

wasupdavey

Hummm. I can remember that my clown fish earlier its been about 2 months also so its hard for me to remember. I had a much bigger perc coupled with mine. So that must've been the female clownfish. The one I have right not I'm thinking is a male. The Perc I have right now even with the other clown never took host with my bubble tip anemone. The bigger female one I had I think well it went into the bubble tip but the other perc I have right now thats still alive never took it with her.

Anyhow so just get a smaller sized perc to go with my current one?:dryer:

lcstorc

That's what I would do. The current one is more established so it should either be or turn into the female with another clown around. If it is agressive enough to beat up a maroon I would bet it is at least on it's way to becoming female.

wasupdavey

Just double checking. So if I go buy another perc smaller for it, it won't beat the new perc up right because its the same kind correct?:snow:

lcstorc

No guarantees and I would definitely expect some chasing etc. She could reject him. There is no way to know for certain. Hopefully they will at least do what mine have and leave it at chasing instead of beating up.
I would be prepared to remove one if necessary. I would remove the established one to get her off balance if they really start fighting. Put her in the fuge or somewhere for a week or so. That can prompt an attitude adjustment.

wasupdavey

It doesnt really matter if I get one almost the same size as the false perc i have right now correct? Or does it have to be smaller?:eek:h:

lcstorc

I would get one smaller to be sure it is still a juvinile. If you get one the same size or larger you may end up with 2 females and then they will fight. If you get a smaller one it will either be juvinile or male.

wasupdavey

A false perc of the same kind and small sounds clear enough for me.

One Lassstt clarification if possible. It wouldnt kill the new false perc i put in like it killed a the maroon clown would it?

Just dont want another mistake lol :O