detailed chiller instalation

JOHNY

can any one post detailed pics of there chiller instalation with external pump.
i have all my equipment just want to set it up right the first time.
i would appreciate pics of the accessory att. and the full plumbing.

echopiece

Here is someones RSM250 with the external pump installation. http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/43438-rsm-250-1-month-into-cycle-4.html#post693696

I have a 130D and went with an internal pump next to the protein skimmer. Here is what my installation looks like.

chiller.jpg

tnwillia

This is mine. I think I talked about my plumbing in the 250 mod thread towards the end of the thread. These pictures are there as well. If you need it, I can draw it out for you like echopiece did. Let me know, I'll be watching here to see what you get from others. Have fun!

DSC00823.jpg

DSC00824.jpg

DSC00825.jpg

tnwillia

As you look the green hose path is the chiller output intio the tank. Clear hose is the input from the tank to the chiller. Good luck!

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
Hey Tom,

I would love it if you could draw your plumbing of the chiller like Echopiece. Call me dumb, but have you run the return from the chiller across to the other side of the tank?

I am up to this stage now and not sure how to do it.

Cheers
Leigh.

tnwillia

Leigh.... No problem, I'll do it this weekend and put it in here. This will just be the way I did it, there are lots of ways to plumb these. The thread listed by echopiece in post #2 is my tank also. I'll get it up ASAP.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Tom as you know I don't even have a chiller... but wanted to say... I like following all the threads & learning... and you are a real asset to our rsm club !!!

tnwillia

Glenn... Thanks much I'm learning every day. This is fun for me!

Lethal.... There is no reason you could not go to the left side into the fan port. I used that for my LifeReef overflow though. Araims just finished his and did things differently but right now I don't remember how he ran his chiller. His pictures are good so they should help you.

tnwillia

Leigh....Yes Aramis did take his chiller return into the left back chamber thru the open fan port. Lots of ways to go. Good Luck!

Nigma

that setup looks nice and simple to follow, i like it.

i don't know much about chillers but...
what specs are you looking for, when choosing one? GPH? is that is only thing to look for? or other stuff? do chillers come with a pump?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Nice drawings Echopiece and Tom! Folks like you are a real help to all of us. If I ever need to use a chiller this type of information and explanations are priceless.

lethal

Thank you very much for that Tom. Very professional picture.

I have some more questions (sorry). Your return flow back to the DT is controlled. Should I do this too? You have also removed your right pump - not sure why. Is it o.k. to return the water to the same area that it leaves the tank? And one last one - are the ball valves there just in case you have to do maintenance on chiller/pump?

Hope these questions aren't dumb. This is my first setup and i'm sort of flying blind. Thank goodness for this forum.

Leigh.

tnwillia

Nigma..... The HP rating of the chiller depends on the size of your tank. I Overkill. I got 1/4hp others have done 250s on 1/10 hp. No, pumps are not included. You can do internal or external. I've done both. I wanted the pump heat out of my tank so external was my final choice. On size of the pump again I overkill. I've read that reducing the flow of a pump hurts it in no way. After reading that I got bigger than I needed and use the gate valve to slow my flow down. But, you do need to get a pump meeting the flow specs of your chiller. Most all on-line stores show the chiller specs so you know what you need. Good luck!

tnwillia

Hey Leigh.... No problem, I control flow for 2 reasons. 1. my pump is bigger than I needed and I slow my flow that way. I also use the gate valves on in/out of the pump to isolate it with minimum water spill if I need to remove it for cleaning or maintenance.

I removed my right pump to use it's tank port as a straight thru path into my DT. On the right side there is no room to go over the top of the back rim into the DT. I didn't want to dump my chiller water back into the same chamber I was pulling tank water out of to send to the chiller, if that makes sense. Also I didn't need the pump as I was running Korila 1 & 3s and will put in my MP40 next month. I'm thinking seriously about removing the Left pump once I get my MP40 but still thinking about that.

There are no dumb questions! I asked all the same and more of others as I was building mine. That is the great thing about this site! What worked best for me was I drew out the whole thing on paper first the way I wanted it, then went and bought the plumbing and had a fun weekend. Good luck

lethal

Thanks again Tom. It all makes sense now.:dummy:

Where would we be without people like yourself?

Cheers
Leigh.

tnwillia

Thanks Leigh! One more thing, in my pictures I have 4 (I think) gate valves at my pump. You only need 2 I had to do some ceative plumbing to get things to fit. One day I'll replumb it and take 2 of those out. Have fun with it!

lethal

No worries Tom.

I'd planned to have my chiller in the cabinet - to keep the other half happy. But it takes up most of the room in there and I think I need to have a reasonable air gap. Have you any experience with this? I'd like to try and avoid placing it on the outside but will if I have to. Need to sweet talk the missus though.

Leigh.