dead live rock :)

Leo

Hello everyone. I have taken out my huge drum of saved rock from years ago. I had a 120 gallon reef.
Kinda forgot how beautiful these pieces were. I selected a bunch for my future 34 gallon tank (in progress) (starting small this time) and I have them in a new garbage container with RODI water mixed to the correct salinity, I threw in 5 turbo snails and a couple of those nasty little fishes (forgot the name) to get the rocks going. My question is do I need to put some light on this? even a few hrs. a day or is that a waste. I fear It'll mostly just create algae. RIght now theres a heater and two pumps circulating the water. ANy thoughts would be welcomed.
Thanks!

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Nah you don't need any lights, just feed the fish and keep a good flow, you'll be ok.

L

leov

Nah you don't need any lights, just feed the fish and keep a good flow, you'll be ok.

Thank you..
How many weeks or months would you say before these rocks are primed to go into the tank. I'm in no rush whatsoever. I would love them to be alive enough to help create a stronger ecosystem. I will be putting in 30lbs of
Caribsea Arag-Alive Fiji Pink
sand as well. I suppose that's when the real cycle will begin!

ziggy

Thank you..
How many weeks or months would you say before these rocks are primed to go into the tank. I'm in no rush whatsoever. I would love them to be alive enough to help create a stronger ecosystem. I will be putting in 30lbs of
Caribsea Arag-Alive Fiji Pink
sand as well. I suppose that's when the real cycle will begin!
With food and fish in there the cycle should be good in about 4 weeks if there's no rush

IanReefer

I would go ahead and ensure it at least gets some ambient light. "0" light will limit the re-culturing to non-photosynthetic species, thus, no food for cope-pods etc. Putting the sand in there will seed the denitrifying bacteria and that's about it.

Also, after about 1 week (to ensure PH buffering has stabilized), put a few small pieces (~2 lbs) of actual live rock to expedite the seeding of the new live rock. The more water movement you have, the more effective re-growth you will have. A powerhead or two will help out immensely.

I doubt a little algae will do harm. So long as your water parameters in your aquarium are good, it will not be a problem.

Leo

thanks... I have done all that. It'll probably be cooking for a few more weeks, as I have so much top do before I actually can get saltwater in the tank. I feel kinda stupid but while I still love the look of the tank, I am adding a refugium on the bottom with a bigger skimmer. Also putting together a double overflow system (1.25"). Started with 1" but realized it wouldn't give me the circulation that I wanted.
Anyway, Thanks for your input !