dbetts' 55 gallon reef

dbetts

So my tank has been up for a couple months now and I never started a chronicle, but better late than never right?? Unfortunately, I have no pictures of me setting it up, but I do have some of it while I was fighting some algae so I'll post those as well. I used to keep a small freshwater tank when I was a kid, but this is definitely my first saltwater. I am super excited about it! Currently, my tank includes:

55 gallon glass aquarium
Reef Octopus Classic 100 HOB Skimmer
2 Aquatop 660 gph powerheads
2500K Fluval Sea Pro Full Spectrum LED Marine and Reef Light
60 lbs live rock
80 lbs live sand

1 Green Chromis
1 Ocellaris Clownfish
1 Blue Hippo Tang
Green Star Polyps
Finger Leather Coral
CUC of various snails, hermits, an emerald crab, and brittle star

In order to put my light on a schedule, I need a WiFi adapter that Fluval makes, so I think that will be my next investment. At some point I would also like a torch coral, I think they look so cool! Any suggestions on other critters would be appreciated! I also would like to hear ways to possibly camouflage the ugly HOB skimmer and heater if anyone has any. And before it's said, a sump is not in the budget right now. ;) haha.

Here is during my algae outbreak:
upload_2016-9-28_10-4-27.jpeg

And these are from the last couple days:
upload_2016-9-28_10-8-50.jpeg

upload_2016-9-28_10-9-17.jpeg

upload_2016-9-28_10-9-32.jpeg

upload_2016-9-28_10-9-45.jpeg

DaveK

Your algae problem really isn't that bad, especially when you consider that it's a new tank. Many tanks go through various algae phases in the first year or so. Keep after it and you'll be fine.

dbetts

Your algae problem really isn't that bad, especially when you consider that it's a new tank. Many tanks go through various algae phases in the first year or so. Keep after it and you'll be fine.
That's good to hear. And yeah, I wasn't too worried about the algae because I had seen worse in other's tanks. But I was still very happy to see it all gone when I got back and turned on my lights. Haha.

dbetts

I really need to actually update this... Haha.

So obviously a lot has changed since my last post, since that was about 7 months ago. I will try to do better at posting whenever I do something large or try something new. I want to be able to go back and see how far I've come, and can't do that if I don't post!

So I have purchased quite a few things in the last 7 months, some corals and a new fish. I will post them below. I also upgraded my lighting and made my own stand for them (since they are cheaper lights that don't have brackets to hold them up). I am not finished with it though, I am going to clad all of the sides with black fabric to make it look more like a canopy. Hope you enjoy! Also, if anyone would like to help me ID the coral frags, that would be great. I got them in a flash sale that was just called "assorted coral frags"

Thanks everyone!!

upload_2017-4-4_22-29-57.png

upload_2017-4-4_22-30-36.png

upload_2017-4-4_22-31-29.png

upload_2017-4-4_22-32-36.png

upload_2017-4-4_22-32-53.png

upload_2017-4-4_22-33-11.png

dbetts

Another update photo! Canopy is finished, and a lot more coral added. My sister purchased a home in Florida that had an established reef tank that was overgrown with coral, so I was able to snatch a lot up. I love the look of it now!

IMG_2389.JPG