David's RSM 130D

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Shaw

I have recently upgraded my old fish only marine aquarium to the RSM as i wanted to have a go at keeping a reef tank. I decided upon the 130D after reading all the posts on here. I fancied the 250 but it was just too big for my lounge, and also expensive. The 130D fits nicely into the room and looks great!

I wanted to say that the posts on here have been incredibly helpful, and as a result of reading about peoples various upgrades I have now ordered the Media Rack (and square skimmer cup) as i upgraded the stock skimmer to the Tunze 9002 Nano, and boy am i glad that i did !

I was relatively happy with the stock skimmer, no issues with micro-bubbles etc, i just wanted a much quieter skimmer! The Tunze slots nicely into the rear and is a whisper quiet alternative. I was really pleased when i opened the plug socket on the Tunze to find the US style socket within, that plugged in perfectly to the electrical control panel so i can still operate it using the side panel control switches (i always wanted an all in 1 plug and play with the clean look of no other wires)

As i am new to the reef tank, i am now set up and going very slowly. The combined knowledge of my local aquarium supplier along with the posts on here keep me well informed and I am learning such a lot. As you can see from the photo, i haven't got a massive amount of corals, i will add a little at a time.

The thought of algae and collections on the glass gives me the shakes, so i am ultra thorough on cleaning. I do 10/15 % water changes every week with RO saltwater, clean the glass every single day and have left a slight gap at the rear of the live rock so i can scrub the smoked glass rear panel too. I do the water testing weekly. I even scrub the pump heads and the surface tank skimmer prongs.

With regards to supplementing the water. I have been adding RedSea CoralGrow into the tank daily (as stated on the DVD and bottle). Do you think this is ok / necessary? I haven't as yet added any calcium due to the small number of corals and i need to get the test kit before i would be happy adding the calcium to the water.

I keep scanning the postings and learn a little more each time. As a newbie it can be all a little overwhelming with a 1st tank and sometimes it feels silly to post what to many would be a simple or obvious question.

I look forwards to continuing adding to my RSM and enjoying the adivice given on the forums.

ia9mo8

RaysReef

Has been struck by the ban stick
Re: My RSM 130D

Good choice David, welcome to RS :D The 130D is perfect for what you want. Algae on the glass is part of the game but I've never cleaned my back glass.

I wouldn't dose anything at the beginning, I'd just concentrate on water changes but other 130 owners will advise...

Dweezil

David, Welcome! I'm new too but wanted to welcome you aboard.
Never feel silly about asking questions. The people here are wonderful and have always answered my questions without judging or making you feel silly. Look forward to seeing some pictures of your tank. :eek:lsmile:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF

David
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary and the RSM Owners Forum, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Any questions... ask away... no matter how simple... we all are learning all the time & the rsm owners forum is a very nice & supportive forum !

Look forward to seeing pics of your tank & watching it progress!

Sapphire

Welcome along- great to have another member! ilook froward to seeing some pics soon!

I wouldn't dose the coral grow yet - I did the same with JBL coral fluid - as per bottle but it's far too much and is likely to add too many nutrients and cause an algae outbreak. Even now I only use Reef Solution and add one cap per week rather than the one per day as per the bottle (my tank is coming up to 2 years old).

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

welcome-rainbow-rotate-ag1.gif

Welcome to the RSM crew! On adding the Coral Grow, I'd follow Emma's advice - it's probably not needed yet, and definitely not daily.

David Shaw

Thats cool, thank you everyone for your postings.

I will hold of dosing then and just do a capful once a week at most - ESPECIALLY if it increases algae as i scrub the glass enough as it is! I hate algae on glass and sand..

I am trying to upload a pic but they are all over the 50kb threshold in size, any thoughts?

D

David Shaw

Thanks for the advice, managed to get a pic up.

Yep, Oasis in Salford is the place where i get all my stuff from, including the RDS itself.

David Shaw

Thanks Anthony. I know it isn't as heavily stocked as a lot of peoples, but i did my best.

Oasis is a great store, i go there once a week for the RO Water and an bit's and occasionally the odd bit of new coral ! It was their display of the RDS 130D on the upstairs that finally sold it to me! I would have gone for the 250 if i had a bigger lounge but am very happy with my 130D.

Been told the Steve T Media Rack and skimmer lid are on their way! That should be me sorted then hopefully.. This is an expensive hobby !

Status
Not open for further replies.