HELP! Cyano Problem

Hey guys. I had a cyano problem a few months ago, it went away, and now it's back.

Levels are: 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate according to API test kit. I have two clowns, a bicolor blenny, a yellow watchman goby, and a coral beauty angel in a 30 gallon tank. I feed frozen and flake food 3-5 times a week. My lighting is a 140 watt Chinese black box. I do water changes once or twice a week and siphon out as much cyano as I can.

The cyano is starting to cover my sps corals and it makes my tank look really ugly. Any suggestions on how to beat the cyano will be appreciated!:hermit:

Reactions: SPR

DaveK

I see a few possible problem areas.

Your tank may be overcrowded. Once you add live rock, your water volumes will be down to about 22 gal or so. You want about 5 gal of water per 1 inch of fish. If you figure each of your fish at 2 inches, your about double what you should have in the tank.

Frozen food that is not rinsed and dry foods can be massive sources of nitrates and phosphates. You might want to cut back on the dry food and really rinse the frozen foods. It is also worth getting a phosphate test kit, so you know what is going on. Low nitrates and phosphates are usually good, but a low reading doesn't mean you don't have a problem, since the cyano or algae can be absorbing it all.

You might try reducing the amount of light and how long you light the tank, but that's hard to tell since we don't have specifics here.

If your not already doing so, user RO/DI water to mix your salt.

One think that I do not recommend is using one of those red slime remover products. They do work, but unless you fix the underlying issues, you'll just get another nuisance algae to replace the cyano, and it will be lots harder to get rid of it.

Thanks for the reply. I reduced the lighting significantly a while ago but nothing happened... I do use RO/DI. Are there any options other than taking some fish back to the LFS?

saintsreturn

Are you using a protein skimmer? If you are, i would over skim to help get nutrients out of the water column. Also, increase your flow in areas you are seeing the algae buildup.

For me, i never feed flakes of any kind. And i have recently started to rinse my frozen food and have been happy to be doing so.

DaveK

Thanks for the reply. I reduced the lighting significantly a while ago but nothing happened... I do use RO/DI. Are there any options other than taking some fish back to the LFS?

This is always a good opportunity to upgrade your tank to that 500 gal reef system you always wanted (grin)

The other thing you can do is trade, sell or give away the fish to another hobbyist.

Are you using a protein skimmer? If you are, i would over skim to help get nutrients out of the water column. Also, increase your flow in areas you are seeing the algae buildup.

For me, i never feed flakes of any kind. And i have recently started to rinse my frozen food and have been happy to be doing so.

I run a skilter (skimmer+filter) that's already set to its maximum setting...
This is always a good opportunity to upgrade your tank to that 500 gal reef system you always wanted (grin)

The other thing you can do is trade, sell or give away the fish to another hobbyist.
I'm only 13, so I don't have enough money for a 500 gallon:stars::stars::stars:
But, Christmas is coming... maybe "Santa" will bring a 75 gallon or something
Guess I'll have to take some fish back to the LFS...

DaveK

I run a skilter (skimmer+filter) that's already set to its maximum setting...

I'm only 13, so I don't have enough money for a 500 gallon:stars::stars::stars:
But, Christmas is coming... maybe "Santa" will bring a 75 gallon or something
Guess I'll have to take some fish back to the LFS...

Well, you started 2 years earlier than I did. I was 15 when I set up my first sw tank. That was more years ago then I care to think about.

When it comes to equipment, don't over look doing DIY projects. Many are good, and lots less expensive then ready made stuff. You can especially do well making parts of the filtration system. Skimmers are another good project.

DaveK

DIY skimmers???

A search on google and/or youtube will yield quite a few results. Here is one (offsite) -

I'd say look at a few of them and get the idea behind what they are doing, and it should be easy to design and build your own. Most of the parts are PVC plumbing parts available from Home Depot or similar store. Best of all they are usually very inexpensive to build.

Uncle99

Cyano is one of those things that comes and goes on newer tanks. Some believe it is caused by a imbalance in nutrients, some say it fed by silicates, I just don't know, I have never seen any proof of the actual cause.

Just blow it off and vacuum up as much as possible, it will decrease.
Once the bacteria runs out of food, it will be gone.

Of course, regular SW WC with 0 TDS RODI, and consistent on point water helps to keep it that way.

I would expect at ten months, your days of cyano are almost finished provided your environment stays stable and consistent.

RDS

Hey guys. I had a cyano problem a few months ago, it went away, and now it's back.

Levels are: 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate according to API test kit. I have two clowns, a bicolor blenny, a yellow watchman goby, and a coral beauty angel in a 30 gallon tank. I feed frozen and flake food 3-5 times a week. My lighting is a 140 watt Chinese black box. I do water changes once or twice a week and siphon out as much cyano as I can.

The cyano is starting to cover my sps corals and it makes my tank look really ugly. Any suggestions on how to beat the cyano will be appreciated!:hermit:
I never replied to anyone so you may not even get this. I would cut back feeding of dry food. Make sure you have plenty water flow. Cut back little on lighting time. Dont stir up substrate if you dont have to.

RDS

I never replied to anyone so you may not even get this. I would cut back feeding of dry food. Make sure you have plenty water flow. Cut back little on lighting time. Dont stir up substrate if you dont have to.