Cyano!! AHHH!

So most of you know me....29 Coralife Biocube with stock equipment except for a heater. I have 2 ocillaris clowns, a new RBTA (doing well), a few zoa frags, a few mushrooms, and a pipe organ. I have alot of cyano all over the sand!! So here is what I am doing. Getting a new power head today to increase flow, getting led lighting system sometime next week, doing a blackout for the next 48 hours with a 30% water change after, been feeding less pellets to the clowns and only feeding the RBTA some frozen brine shrimp 2 times a week....hopefully these changes will make the difference!! ANy extra advice? Also I have alot of red macro algae growing. I know it supposed to be good but it growing all over my pipe organ!! Feels like it hurting it!

sirrealism

Sounds like you have it covered. Do you run any GFO? Do you have any P04 in your tank? It happens to almost every tank so I wouldnt stress it to much

Joeys Tank

Sounds like you have a good plan in place. Many sources out there on cyano. Nitrates and phosphates :) Yay!

wscttwolfe

If you have cyano and macro algae growing like crazy, there is probably a lot of extra nitrate and phosphate getting into the tank somehow.

What is your water source? How often do you feed?

To get rid of my cyano problem, it was helpful to use a turkey baster to blow the cyano off the rocks and sand. Each time, it came back less and less. It was also helpful to only feed my fish once every 2-3 days

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Cyano is a very primitive organism and it's extremely resourceful in utilizing almost anything as a food source. It has survived floods, droughts, rain, ice and everything else on the planet and yet here it is. Best bet is to do as you've suggested and attack it from several different angles at once. Reserve any chemical/additive solution as the last resort if everything else fails. Whatever you do stick with it and don't take a few days off. Stay on top of it and bring your A-game and you will most likely come out on top of this.

Also keep in mind that it's entirely possibly (almost probably) that you will have some type of "event" when you change the lights. Not every tank does but many will have some degree of algae and/or Cyano bloom after a change of light. My theory for this is that our systems are in somewhat of a balance and changing something as significant as light throws that balance off until the tank can self stabilize with the new light.

alfaman

I've also seen lots of bubbles on my rocks so I think I know it's coming. We can fight it together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also where do you think I should put the pump?
Imagine this is a top view of my tank:

1 = the stock pump output which is all I have going
2 = the water intake filtration
3 = the RBTA located low to the sand between two rocks
0 = the sand location where the cyano is the worse

So mabey copy and paste this picture indicating where the best location would be for the new pump and also how low or high from the sand. And direction it should point. Thanks!! Again it is a biocube 29 gallon coralife.

xx1xxxx2xxx
x x
x x
x x
x x
x 0300000 x
x 0000000 x
xxxxxxxxxx x

Better yet here is a pic lol. This is yesterday. I have the pump now just looking best place to put.
a>

alfaman

My god... This is the worst I've ever seen. Get that sand out, I suspect it's leaching. Then lights out for a 2-3 days. Suck out all the cyano you can from the rocks, do a 50% water change, skim wet then...

Wash the sand out loads until it runs out the bucket from pink to clear water and then soak it in pure RO.

Replace RO daily OR TWICE DAILY IF you can. After two to three days lights back on for a few hours only (are your bulbs new?)

alfaman

Don't put sand back in just yet. See how cyano is for a week or two. Then when you are ready ask someone with a mature tank to give you a cup of sand to seed yours.

Keep in touch with updates.