Crystal's 28g JBJ Nano

Ceejai777

Hi everyone, I am nearly to week 4 of cycling my tank (27th will be 4 weeks) but am unsure of how much of a cycle it has actually gone through. I set it up with the same rocks that were in it in California before we moved back to WA in June. I didn't clean the rocks after taking them out or before putting them back in the tank. I did see an ammonia spike (between 1 and 2ppm). After adding live aragonite (Caribsea) 2 weeks after setting the tank up, I had cloudiness that wasn't clearing up after a couple days and read that can be caused by the minerals in the aragonite and to do a 50% water change which did. After the water change, ammonia and nitrite were at 0 and nitrate was 5-10ppm.

I was afraid the tank hadn't cycled and was advised on here to put a raw shrimp in, which I did. I made the mistake of not testing every day after adding the shrimp. I guess I thought it would take several days to see an ammonia spike so I waited until day 3 before testing the ammonia. Everything was at 0, though the shrimp was rotting. I was advised to out a new shrimp in and test the water every day which I did last night. I tested today and the ammonia is at 2ppm, nitrite 0.

I haven't seen any significant diatom bloom. Just a bit in the back corners of the tank and on the equipment. Everything is stock in the tank, though I did upgrade the intake pumps in one of my tanks...just not sure if it is the one I have set up or the one in my garage. The tanks and stands are identical. I'm thinking I should move my power heads so they are on the glass pointing at each other. Any advise?

Edited to add: pic from my cell phone was too large a file to upload directly on here so I am trying to remember my Photobucket login to add a pic that way

Last edited:

Ceejai777

Sounds like your fine. wait for the current ammonia spike to drop to 0 and make sure nitrite has dropped to 0 and you should be good to go.
Do you think I should keep the shrimp in there? So far, no nitrite. Shouldn't I have seen some type of diatom bloom more than I have? There is barely any in there...

Ceejai777

nanodecember_zpslqsd9mcr.jpg

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Keep the shrimp it there & just let it completely rot, what I would do... being your tank been up a month, you may had some die off from the old rock.

Ceejai777

Mods, can you please link this thread to my profile or is there a way I can do it? CUC is doing well. My next addition will be a pair of clowns in about 2 weeks.