HELP! Cover or no cover that is thy ?

USNDoc

What are the pros and cons to having a cover on top and does anybody recommend or not recommend it and why

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

cracker

hello, I use a clear mesh top,like a window screen. allows for air exchange and keeps that errant fish from leaping out. I lost a real nice and pricey wrasse .Glass covers I think retain heat & inhibit gas exchange. I didn't cover my tank for years and finally learned my lesson.

Squatch XXL

I prefer traditional glass covers.
I have been back and forth over the years. Currently I am using acrylic covers, and honestly I like it. With cheap LEDs, it takes the disco away from all the small droplets of water on the lid.

Does your glass "fog" up? Do you treat it with anything? Rain-x?

Lots of pros and cons.

Open top is more evap. Fish get out. You can get netting for a lid, and the fish stay in then. Better gas exchange. More heat loss due to evap.

The lids keep heat and humidity in. It keeps the tank warmer. It can block light, and needs cleaned from time to time. really keeps fish in.

Last edited:

mr_tap_water

If you go with glass it's better to get greenhouse Glass which is a lot thinner than traditional glass which will allow more light through. and won't bow like acrylic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk