Courtney's Red Sea Reefer 350

Courtney

Well today has been interesting as I had to dismantle half of my tank moving most of my corals to my sump temporarily whilst I tried to capture the Red Sea cleaner wrasse as I found out that he has been eating my sps corals!

So after about an hour or so I finally got him and took him back as now most of my sps corals have white patches where he has been taking chunks out of them so hopefully now that he has gone they might grow back and repair themselves over time. He was such a nice looking and colourful fish but there we go haha that will teach me not to research a fish before buying it.

Nobbygas

Well today has been interesting as I had to dismantle half of my tank moving most of my corals to my sump temporarily whilst I tried to capture the Red Sea cleaner wrasse as I found out that he has been eating my sps corals!

So after about an hour or so I finally got him and took him back as now most of my sps corals have white patches where he has been taking chunks out of them so hopefully now that he has gone they might grow back and repair themselves over time. He was such a nice looking and colourful fish but there we go haha that will teach me not to research a fish before buying it.
Why not go for a 'bog standard cleaner wrasse'. In my opinion, they are a vital part of the aquarium. I base this on the fact that no matter where I have dived I have always seen Cleaner Wrasse! The only thing mine nips is other fish when he gets a bit carried away with his cleaning !

Courtney

Well today I picked up a stunning purple tang which I know has been in the shop for months and has been eating well and has had no problems.

687df27c30ca8ba0981f9bcf12523732.jpg

I have also had another project on the go and today it was finally ready so I present to you my new Red Sea Max Nano tank [emoji16]

9e625e5e136e66de5fbfff08e3c89e63.jpg

It has a 10kg bag of Red Sea coral pink live sand, 6kgs or so of Pukani live rock as well as half a bag of JBL Micromec to add another layer of filtration. So as of yet I have just moved some of the corals that weren't doing so well in my main tank like the candy canes and the comb or elegance coral. I think there was a crab that must have been in the rocks in there and one of my emerald crabs must have hidden on a candy cane and is now there and a tiny snail but haven't seen the crabs recently though.

Today I added a Royal Grammar, Sulphur Goby and Tiger Shrimp which have paired up and have settled into a cave which is cool. So this tank will be my frag tank and help to free up some space in the main tank. All the fish have been at work for weeks so been keeping an eye on them.

b614a318f14260af64da0dda4cdf2ec8.jpg

b14358c6a12ecaaac3f8385b0b8eb101.jpg

Courtney

Wanted to know if anyone knows some decent digital thermometers as I have been using some JBL glass thermometers and between 3 of them in my 2 marine tanks and 1 in my tropical tank there all 1-2 degrees out which isn't helpful . So want some more accurate digital ones so any suggestions would be cool thanks.

Courtney

Yeah I do have a controller for a heater and cooler the same one SPR has which does have a display it's just that it's in the cabinet and I want to have one in the tank for a quick glance mostly being lazy and don't want to open cabinet door and look hahaha

SPR

Yeah I do have a controller for a heater and cooler the same one SPR has which does have a display it's just that it's in the cabinet and I want to have one in the tank for a quick glance mostly being lazy and don't want to open cabinet door and look hahaha
Why don’t you just put it outside of the tank cabinet then ?

Mine is on a window shelf we’re i can clearly see it at a glance. I didn’t put mine inside the cabinet because, well, you can’t see it because its hidden inside the cabinet.........

Last edited:

Pancho75

Courtney

Yeah that would be ideal haha just something to give a quick reading as I don't have space outside my tank to mount the digital display that runs on my temperature controller.

Had a look at my purple tang to see what looks like tiny white specks of salt so I assume he is white spot. So giving him nori soaked in garlic and selcon to try and help him and put my UV unit back on as had it off whilst I was adding live bacteria to my tank. So will just have to see how we get on but what my college told me at work was that he got white spot ages ago and fought it off with no problem so hopefully he does it again but will keep you updated.

Courtney

Picked up some new bits for the Red Sea Max Nano today. Got a Boxer Crab or Pom Pom Crab and a pair of Picasso Clowns which have a really cool pattern to them.

Also moved over one of my 5 anemones from my main tank in hope that the Clowns host it and also moved over my Acan as it kept getting covered in sand from my watchman goby which has caused some of the heads to die off so hopefully it will repair itself in the small tank.

The purple tang is still eating and doesn't seem to be bothered with the white spots at the moment but will keep feed him vitamin enriched food and see how we go.

cc413ebeb2e5633e92ef7e94826a7c51.jpg

8f7a7b2429c9a579dc7f1f071b1d7a2d.jpg

Courtney

Picked up a small Hi Fin Checker Hawk on Saturday really cool fish. Got him for the Max Nano as keeping smaller fish in there.

Wanted to ask a question about the Picasso Clowns I have. Put them in the tank and they always stick together and never left each other's sides which was good then I though I would introduce one of my anemones from my big tank to try and get them to host and make them feel a bit more comfortable in there. Well added it and at first they wouldn't go near it then a day later the larger of the pair hosted it but now won't let the slightly smaller one anywhere near it. Keeps chasing it away so the smaller one stays on the opposite side of the tank. I have seen a couple of times the smaller one go close then almost roll over on its side when the larger one comes close then again the big one just chases it off. Added another anemone to see if that would help but hasn't so do you think I need to take one of them out and try pair another one or leave them a bit longer and see what happens as they have been in there since last Tuesday ?

Courtney

Hahaha [emoji23] will just let them sort it out.

Picked up a Mandarin that wasn't doing great at work today as it is a bit thin and I felt sorry for him haha so brought him home and put him in the sump with all the pods to feed him up before I put him in the main display tank which is what I did with my scooter blenny and he is doing great now.

Courtney

Well going to move the mandarin to the main tank as he is looking much better after having a proper meal on the sump.

Last night I saw both the Picasso Clowns together in the anemone but today split again haha so getting better I think.

I don't want to but looks like I'm going to have to do a treatment for white spot as my tang looks worse. He isn't showing signs of it annoying him like scratching himself of the rocks or sand but he is just covered so don't know what is best to use the anti bac and parazone or the polyp lab medic. He is the only one that has it none of my other fish have caught it from looking closely at them.

Nobbygas

Well going to move the mandarin to the main tank as he is looking much better after having a proper meal on the sump.

Last night I saw both the Picasso Clowns together in the anemone but today split again haha so getting better I think.

I don't want to but looks like I'm going to have to do a treatment for white spot as my tang looks worse. He isn't showing signs of it annoying him like scratching himself of the rocks or sand but he is just covered so don't know what is best to use the anti bac and parazone or the polyp lab medic. He is the only one that has it none of my other fish have caught it from looking closely at them.
Don't delay. Whatever you're going to do, do it early ! Anti Bac or Parazone are treatments for specific things. Polyplab Medic treats both Whitespot and Velvet. Make a decision on what the problem is, and act fast ! I get the impression, from reading forums, that the effectiveness of Medic can depend on how early you treat. If you treat early you have a much better chance of eradicating the disease as opposed to when the disease is running rampant and heavily established.