couple questions

myrick

as i stated already getting a rsm130d and looking at getting a quarantine tank any of the 5 gallon or less tanks work or should i get a larger one ? and what all would i need a HoB filter and air stone? or would i need more?

what would you guys recommend for a decent hobby magazine for salt water aquariums?

and my LFS guy said i didn't need to cycle if i was using live rock i didn't want to argue with him after all the reading i have done here what is your guys take?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
A) Any quarantine tank is better than none but 5g may be on the small side depending on what fish and how many you need to quarantine at a time. 5g may be fine but if you can do 10g I'd opt for that.

B) Tropical Fish Hobbyist is a great one for tons of articles and it comes out every month. CORAL is the most amazing in terms of pictures and overall quality but it only comes out every other month. I get them BOTH :)

C) Your LFS might be giving you some horse poo or at least only partially correct information. Live Rock, if already cured, maintained in an enviroment with ZERO die-off etc during transport, set-up and fill up can have little to no cycle (or at least undetectable) but to offer a blanket statement like that is hitting the BS button in my books.

Why not "assume" it needs to cycle and add a deli shrimp for a few days. If it gets broken down quickly then you're out a deli shrimp ($0.25) and if it doesn't you just saved yourself some fish, time, and heartache because the tank was NOT ready yet.

Happy Reefing :)

myrick

thank you for the information
as for the tank i want it to be able to fit on my current desk as for the fish i only plan on buying smalls ones so i figured a 5 gal would be fine

and for the LR i assume its already cured he had several vats with pumps on them filled with rocks, but i still may do the shrimp cycle, just to be on the safe side.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Here's what to keep in mind with 5&10 gallon tanks. The glass is so thin. They break ultra easily.

Good call in the shrimp. Never assume or u just lose livestock.

..........rarely am I speechless

myrick

one more question looking for either an APP for my I-pad/Phone or a program on my computer to help me keep track of my tank any suggestions

R1junkie

I just set myself up a database with excel to keep track of things, heck you could even use word pad if you wanted to.