Couple almost dies after Cleaning Reef Tank

norfolkgarden

Good morning Sir.
[emoji4]

Clearly you have been extremely busy with the house and moving.

Fox news is Fake news.
[emoji23]
And slow.

You can also read about the dangers of pulsing xenia (as opposed to Grandis paly's) on such Venerable websites as Reef builders. [emoji53]

On another thread, an astute observer noted the paly's in the lower right hand corner of the picture.

Possibly a more likely culprit?
696e3291f74d0abff45a5d5b5930e1ba.jpg
802b402e781032eaa40adfd0ee1628b0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

DaveK

Something didn't seem to ring true here. Off hand I didn't think Xenia had any Palytoxin in it. This seems to be confirmed by an article in reefs.com. You can read the article here - https://reefs.com/2018/04/06/xenia-does-not-contain-palytoxin/

I suspect either the reef keeper misidentified the coral and actually had some Palythoa anemones in there or maybe it was something else in the tank they came in contact with.

There are quite a few things we keep that can "get us". It's never a bad idea to research anything you intend to buy. With most reef keepers having smart phones today, and net access almost anyplace, there is really no excuse.

Pat24601

Something didn't seem to ring true here. Off hand I didn't think Xenia had any Palytoxin in it. This seems to be confirmed by an article in reefs.com. You can read the article here - https://reefs.com/2018/04/06/xenia-does-not-contain-palytoxin/

I suspect either the reef keeper misidentified the coral and actually had some Palythoa anemones in there or maybe it was something else in the tank they came in contact with.

There are quite a few things we keep that can "get us". It's never a bad idea to research anything you intend to buy. With most reef keepers having smart phones today, and net access almost anyplace, there is really no excuse.

I was thinking the same thing. It appears the "source" for saying the poison came from the Xenia was the hobbyist himself and how is a reporter supposed to know any different?

My guess is the hobbyist is mistaken and he had Zoas or Paly's on there somewhere and that's what caused his problems. He probably really was trying to clean up Xenia because that happens all the time, but he also had some other corals in there he either didn't know about or simply didn't attribute the poison too for some reason.