Could use some fast Op's on a pair of Gold Stripe clowns.

cracker

Hey Folks, I have been offered a pair of Gold Stripe clowns. I haven't seen these fish but know the owner & confident they are healthy. These fish have been together for over 2 years. All I know is they are a good size. what that means? No tellin. Anyway my Friend is selling do to a move. I'm considering these fish for the new 180 and will be the 1st fish introduced.
My concerns are, These are very territorial & can be downright vicious. As the 1st fishin the tank, I don't want them to think the whole place is their's ..as I will be adding more fish in the near future. From What I read they like slow water? This tank has quite a bit of flow going on. Any thoughts? I don't like having to make snap decisions but have to act tomorrow. Thanks !
Ps I have no prob saying no but don't want to miss a good deal either .

DaveK

They are a great looking fish, and a color variation on maroon clowns. Yes, they do have a reputation for being nasty.

Should you get them? What are your plans for fish in the tank? If they would fit well into your plans, then get them. Another option would be to set up a separate tank for them and keep them there, with the idea that maybe you could add them to the 180 later.

You could also take your chances and add them now, but if you do need to remove them it's going to be quite a job.

As for slow water, they should easily be able to find some calmer areas they like. I don't see a big issue here.

Personally, I tend to like more peaceful fish, so I'd pass them by unless I was willing to set up an additional tank for them.

cracker

Ok I have more info,these fish have been together for 41/2 years. The female is about3 inches the male about 11/2 . they were in an 80gl tank with tangs & wrasses. He says they will host anything. which is about what I want to do with this tank. they are in a sump so don't have to act immediately . He wants 60 $ for the pair. I would like an anemone, in the future & knowing I have a mated pair that will most likely take to one would be nice. Again my concern is they will think the whole tank is theirs before I add any more fish. I suppose I could put them in my big sump until I add a fish or 2. I saw some pics,very pretty fish.

mr_tap_water

Ok I have more info,these fish have been together for 41/2 years. The female is about3 inches the male about 11/2 . they were in an 80gl tank with tangs & wrasses. He says they will host anything. which is about what I want to do with this tank. they are in a sump so don't have to act immediately . He wants 60 $ for the pair. I would like an anemone, in the future & knowing I have a mated pair that will most likely take to one would be nice. Again my concern is they will think the whole tank is theirs before I add any more fish. I suppose I could put them in my big sump until I add a fish or 2. I saw some pics,very pretty fish.
Hi there
It sounds like you're rushing into a decision you're unsure about, there's a few possibilities with these clownfish first of all I found clownfish seem to stick to one area of the tank so if your tank is big enough it shouldn't be a problem if they going first, and if you have a fair amount of rock in the system this will help other fish to be able to settle in safely.

And yes you could put them in the sump for now.

Last of all you don't have to rush things your find in this hobby there's always something better around the corner ,
like The saying goes there's plenty of other fish in the sea[emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cracker

`So true ! I'm not sweating it now.I thought I had to get them today. I think I'll go for it. Afterall I have been putting off fish in this new tank. Thanks of the fast replies. I love this place I can ask for help & know I'll get good,common sense answers !

cracker

Hey Stir, Ok So I did put them in the tank. They found a quiet hole to hide out. They did come out this morn & appeared to eat but I haven't seen close up yet. I'll get some pics as soon as they come out.
I suspect they aren't used to all the flow I have going.

cracker

Good evening, Still won't come out. turned the gyres off and still. tested for Am & trites all seems ok.
I'm starting to worry a bit.

cracker

Man I screwed up ! A little bit ago, I ran another am test. Su between 0 &.02 ! I Immediately did a 35 gl water change Thank God I had a full can of new water. I had time to make another 30 gl can Now testing for nitrite. How stupid was that ? Such a simple little thing I was sure was alright. So after around 55 /60 gls. (sorry for the edit,the sentence I changed wasn't factual.)

Ok So as of now
Am .01
No2 0
No3 2
realize it hasn't been long enough will test for Am again now.

Last edited: