Could cyano be due to rock work?

Brookesy

My 250l tank is about 7 weeks old now and I've recently experienced the deadline cyano outbreak. In terms of stocking I have gradually added 4 fish, a few corals and a small clean up crew consisting of snails, crabs and a brittle star. One of the first purchases with my tank was two jebao wp25 powerheads to ensure good flow which I am still tinkering with to get the optimum performance.

I was wondering if my cyano could be due to my rock work causing dead spots within my aquarium and because it is stacked up against so the back of the aquarium could detritus be building up at the back causing phosphate build up? Or is it more likely due to the aquarium maturing.?

I've checked all my levels and everything seems to be where it needs to be and I perform a 10% water change every week. I may have been overfeeding the past week due to trying a few different foods.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Brookesy

Pic of tank below

316e627134d840d9339e36d82a9fec19.jpg

DaveK

You have a new tank, and such outbreaks are not at all unusual. Your rock work looks fine. Dead spots due to rock work would usually tend to show up on the rock, not on the sandbed.

Keep fighting it with msnusl removal, and water changes. Monitor you nitrate and phosphate levels. Do not over feed. You can also stir up the top layer of sand, only going about 3/4" deep and then vacuum the pottom as part of the water change.

What ever you do resist the temptation to use one of the chemical red slime remover products. They do work, but unless you actually fix the problem, you will simply replace one problem algae with a different one. Above all don't panic and start doing all sorts of crazy stuff to your tank.

Brookesy

Ok thanks that's what I thought but I didn't want to leave it too long before it over ran my tank I'll keep testing the water regular and reduce feeding. I'll also try keeping the lights on for 8 hours a day instead of 9. It's not a massive difference but I don't want to upset my new corals too much.